Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A&E presents the new original real-life series “Storage Wars,” which follows four professional buyers and their teams as they scour repossessed storage units in search of hidden treasure. Part gamblers, part detectives, these seasoned veterans have found everything from coffins to the world’s most valuable comic book collection, paying as little as ten dollars for items valued in the millions.
Anybody watching this?

For some reason, my son started recording and watching this and I find myself sitting down and watching it with the family.

Not sure why, but its kind of entertaining!

·
Registered
592 Posts
If you get the chance, try to watch the first 6 or so episodes and see how the show has changed since then.

It is typical of a "reality" show in that it is manipulated for entertainment purposes.

They dramatically saw through the locker lock, without mentioning that the lock belongs to the facility which has the key... but this way is more dramatic!

They don't reveal how many boring lockers they go through to get enough interesting ones for the show. This is a vital piece of intel because there are fans of the show bidding like lunatics across N. America, falsely believing that they will find treasure instead of tupperware.

I haven't missed an episode!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It certainly is over the top with the fake melodrama but its got a fun hook. I'm sure after about 10 episodes I will stop watching but its definitely one of those things where you go "who would have thought?"

(my son recorded about 10 episodes that were on back to back)

·
Registered
592 Posts
I don't know if any of the "characters" went to acting school, but they are fun to watch! I can't wait to see what they'll say/do next.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
(my son recorded about 10 episodes that were on back to back)
Me too! My gf introduced me to the show, and like most reality shows I assumed I would hate it. After a single episode I was hooked! It gets a bit repetitive, and the characters get on my nerve. Brandi should get her own spin-off show ;)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
spin-off... "Brandi - behind the Locker Door"

The show is one of those guilty little pleasures that you stumble on when staying up to late! Definately has a sheld life but fun for now.

Auction Hunters is similar but only follows one guy and his sidekick when they do the locker auctions. The main guy is pretty knowledgable "the son of a car salesman father and antique store owner mom". Much more transparent and they say it's an 80/20 split between cruddy lockers and ones that are any good, and at the start of the show they say they are showing their best finds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently got into this show after watching it when they had the marathon of it. I quite enjoy watching actually. I hope the series stays on the air.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yeah the characters are kinda funny,

Brandi, one reason to watch, but its always " We gotta find something for the store, we need money.
Dave Hester & Darrels little I am going to bid him up things are funny
Barry also is kinda funny, just looking for that one useless collectable,

have seen most episodes, it is of couses fake sometimes like when they find money behind a picture or poker chips, who would store that,
and the value of their finds, a old screwed up skill saw is like, I can get 40.00 for that, but when, in 3 6 months?
but I get the idea of the Reality show thing they are doing,
and for some reason I'll watch it, even reruns :eek:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I watch it as well, amazes me some of the stuff in the lockers and I often wonder if the people who owned them see the show and think .. "Hey, wait a minute !!" lol

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to assume that the lockers with valuable collectibles in them are often owned by people who have passed away and no one knows the locker exists.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds a bit like The Price Is Right with only one door. I wonder if any or all of these lockers are seeded by the producers. There's nothing like a big prize behind door #1 to boost ratings.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I must have overdosed on it.

After watching 5-6 shows in a row I've kind of soured on the whole thing. Seems very staged and repetitious now.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
^I agree, I did enjoy it but every episode is set-up exactly the same so I have no interest in watching it anymore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts