Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running my 4K PVR box in surround sound mode for a while. No problems. I think an update in the past week has screwed up something. I played a Stingray channel through my AVR last weekend and found.. no sound. Sound for all the other channels but not for any of the Stingray channels. Tried changing the STB to stereo and it works. Set it to surround sound and it's gone. Obviously a bug. How does one contact Telus to get it fixed?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Stingray is definitely sent as DD2.0 (stereo audio), however, something may have changed at Telus or the STB, or your TV or AVR that causes the issue you've encountered. You should contact Telus to see. I'm not sure how to contact them.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Stingray may be in PCM on some systems but is DD2.0 on others. Similarly SD TV channels can be in PCM or DD2.0. HD channels are required to be in DD as part of the HDTV standard. I've had similar issues with having PCM on some signals and DD on others but it wasn't Telus. It could very easily be caused by an update.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
It's was quite a few years ago I saw PCM so that may have changed. HD channels were DD while the music and most SD channels were PCM. It didn't make much difference since PCM is adequate for music and SD. It did cause problems with certain receiver or AVR settings. Modern AVRs should be able to handle it automatically.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It went back to working in SS setting a few weeks ago but then went back to sound in Stereo setting only - haven;t checked in over a week. As stated, sound is coming from the "TV" channels, just not the StingRay music-only ones when the PVRbox is set to surround sound.

FWIW, I'm running optical from the 4K PVR box to my AVR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts