Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bell MTS seems to have replaced Stingray Juicebox with a new channel called Stingray Country. Here's the description:

https://www.stingray.com/products/music-videos-tv-channels

"Stingray Country is the destination for big hearts, authentic living, and raw emotions. With a growing millennial fan base including both men and women, country music’s popularity is spreading across all regions of the map.

The channel features throwback videos that never get old, charting trailblazers, era-defining legends, honky-tonk jams, and crowd-pleasing pop. It’s heartfelt, it’s genuine, and it speaks to anyone who aches for simpler living. The channel’s diverse, all-day lineup includes themed programming, exclusive countdowns, and best-of lists."

Does anyone still have Juicebox on other providers or is this a rebrand?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Juicebox is still on Shaw Direct 375. Loud, Vibe, and Retro still in same locations. No sign of a country video station for Stingray as of now.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
The same with Bell Fibe Ottawa. 581 Stingray Country SD 1581 Stingray CountryHD. As to why the change I'm not sure? They could of easily just of added Stingray Country to the line up with out removing Stingray Juice Box. Its not as if the didn't have the band width. Grant you never watch the channel and certainly an't going to watch Country.

I'm guessing if Bell did this for MTS and Bell Fibe Ottawa, I'm guessing it changed for all Bell Fibe MTS,Ontario,Quebec And Alliance'

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It doesn't look like a direct rebrand since Shaw Direct still carries Juicebox, although Stingray may be gradually phasing out that channel. That's the only reason I can think of for Bell to drop the channel. I confirmed on the Bell Aliant "Good" channel list that Country has replaced Juicebox.

Stingray can operate Stingray Country as an unlicensed channel until it reaches 200,000 subscribers. Maybe they are using this as a market test to gauge the interest in the channel since Corus stopped showing music videos on CMT Canada. Then Stingray will roll out the channel to all providers, either as a rebrand or a new channel. I also noticed the Bell MTS description of the channel is "Stingray Country (HCTRY)." I wonder if they are just using their Hot Country audio channel playlist and adding videos.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Stingray has provided a rebrand date of January 27th, Shaw Direct's programming will take effect that day, with the logo and name change to occur on the 28th (changes don't usually occur on Mondays so take effect the following day).

·
Registered
908 Posts
"Stingray can operate Stingray Country as an unlicensed channel until it reaches 200,000 subscribers. " Would they then be able to show reruns of Three's Company, just like CMT?? :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Shaw Direct now has Stingray Country. It is still showing Juicebox in the guide with the Juicebox guide info in the same channel position.

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In case anyone is wondering how Stingray can gradually transition a channel from one format to another, they install a server with all their content at the TV provider's head-end and manage it remotely, changing the playlist or occasionally adding new songs as needed. So these aren't traditional channels that are broadcast "live" across the country. They will eventually rebrand the channel at all the providers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They seriously need a pop music channel to fill the void left by Much Music and Much More Music. I know Youtube killed the video music channel, but it has too many ads.

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard someone complain that Stingray is now running ads on its video channels, although I don't watch the channels so I don't know how bad they are.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
They seriously need a pop music channel to fill the void left by Much Music and Much More Music. I know Youtube killed the video music channel, but it has too many ads.
Most of what's on the radio is pop music. Barring that, a Youtube subscription kills the ads nicely, allows offline playback, and also comes with Youtube Music.

Stingry itself is showing a top 40 channel when I look at it, although I don't listen to it so I don't know how good it is.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Commercials? Just saw one on Stingray Retro (because I’m never watching Stingray Country lol). Just one. But I don’t remember any the last time I watched. Pretty soon, VJ’s? Please, NO!

Looks like four videos, then commercials. Bummer. It was good while it lasted. I was willing to pay for these channels separately if they kept commercial out. Now, I’m not so sure.

Anyone else remember commercials here?

Not to mention the ‘American’ who’s programming the channels - Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, Def Leppard & The Proclaimers should be on ‘Retro’, NOT ‘Loud’. Ugh. These artists are rock/pop, NOT metal. Get a grip, Stingray...

·
Super Moderator
16,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See yesterday's press release for Programming Highlights.

Stingray Grows its TV Channel Offering and Launches Stingray Country in Canada

Stingray today announced the premiere launch of Stingray Country, a music video television channel dedicated to Country music for Canadian TV subscribers, featuring the best of new country, bro-country, ‘90s country hits, pop country and more. Stingray Country is the only dedicated country music channel in Canada.

Stingray Country’s diverse, all-day lineup includes themed programming, exclusive countdowns, and best-of lists country music fans won’t find anywhere else. It is a must-watch for fans of music videos that want it all, from slow-paced music to energizing anthems. The channel’s programming includes artists such as country music superstars Blake Shelton, Eric Church and Carrie Underwood, award-winning artists Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert and Kacey Musgraves, country music icons Kenny Chesney and Canadian notables The Reklaws, Tenille Townes, Brett Kissel and Meghan Patrick.

With its ever-expanding fanbase, country music is more popular than ever across the country. Stingray Country is currently offered to Bell, Cogeco, Telus, Shaw and Videotron TV subscribers.

For more information about Stingray Country including channel numbers: www.stingray.com/country

-----

https://juicebox.stingray.com/en lists several other providers like Eastlink and Sasktel. Is anyone still receiving that content on those providers?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts