Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
It’s good we realize cable loss must be taken into account; quantifying it correctly to determine whether it’s a major factor to consider is similarly important. In this case, given the distances/lengths of cable, choosing “best” mightn’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pending on the quality of the cable (no name Chinese vs known US brand)
based on a standard 100' length at 600MHz (the highest TV frequency now)
RG59 6.2db
RG6 5db
RG11 3.2db
Meaning RG11 has half the loss as RG59. BUT, as stated, it's harder to work with (bending & 'fishing') due to it's thickness. It does use the same type of fittings ('F') but they are of course much larger and more expensive and will need a special 'compression' tool.. As another member also stated or suggested, it's best between the antenna and you indoor distribution system; distribution amp indoors instead of a preamp outdoors and splitters.
I am glad I have all the electronics like distribution amp indoors so I can work on it if things go wrong during the winter months and not have to wait till spring to go up on the roof. Just like now I have to install a LTE filter between my antenna and the drop amp because Telus had installed 4G/5G small cell transmitter 50 feet from my antenna.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts