Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I am a little curious. I don't follow Apple's actual presentations that often, but I happened to follow this one a bit.

Does Jobs typically harp so much on the competition in his product releases? I realize you require a basis for comparison, but I thought he usually talks more about the magical and mystical qualities of his products moreso than this. In this one he really seemed to talk about other tablet manufacturers a lot.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
There were two main things I didn't like about this keynote. One was the misquoted Samsung comment, and the other one was showing the number of tablet-optimized apps available for a 9 month old iPad vs a week old Android platform (Honeycomb)

This is Apple though so it's not unexpected for them to stretch the truth; but I still don't agree with how they went about it this time.

·
Registered
390 Posts
He's quite good at bashing and misrepresenting his competitor's products, instead of just giving the cold hard facts of his own. One of the reason's I don't like him. That and he's a control freak.

That said, I feel for him in his current medical condition. I do hope the best for him, but it's obvious it hasn't made him change his tactics.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The thing is the initial statement is the one that will resonate the most with people combined with the fact that millions will have heard / read the initial statement and aonly small fraction of those will ever hear the correction. Assuming there is an official one at some point. Mr Jobs would make a fine politician as he understands the power of the initial statement/performance regardless of its truthiness.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
There were two main things I didn't like about this keynote. One was the misquoted Samsung comment, and the other one was showing the number of tablet-optimized apps available for a 9 month old iPad vs a week old Android platform (Honeycomb)
If you are a consumer, comparing the app count is valid because it's a direct reflection on what your user experience will be if you buy today. Next year will be a totally different story, of course.

I haven't seen the Keynote (it's blocked in China for some reason) so I can't comment directly on it, but in the past, Apple has been known to be somewhat opportunistic in talking about their competitors, although in balance I don't think one could say they've been overly disingenious.

The antennagate tirade seemed to be a turning point for Steve, though, and it sounds like he is getting increasingly cocky.

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you compare Apple versus Android 3.0, which has been out for days, it's an obvious stretch.

It's like comparing DVD to HD DVD on the day the next generation of home video was launched.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Jobs is a true innovator and a damn fine showman.

Is he over the top a bit? Sure but that is part of the fun.

Sure Jobs stretches the truth but at least when he announces a product, you know its coming. The iPad is here, the iPad 2 will be here in a few weeks. Where's the HP tablet and all the others that have huge media events recently?

Samsung said they sold a couple of million but we know that was BS so I think Jobs had some fun tweaking their noses.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Sure Jobs stretches the truth but at least when he announces a product, you know its coming.
I'm not sure this is always true, a recent example is the white iPhone 4. An example from years ago is the 500MHz G4 tower (when IBM couldn't get the clock speed of the G4 up to 500MHz reliably).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So they didn't deliver on a White coloured phone. Really?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
So they didn't deliver on a White coloured phone. Really?
Not in the time frame that he promised.

I just checked Apple's website and I don't see an option to order a white iPhone. If I go to my local Future Shop I'd bet that they don't have any white iPhones either. Can you provide a link to the Apple store where they sell the white models?

They also delivered a 500MHz G4, but it was a year later.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They don't sell white iphones.

I can't believe your getting worked up over the fact that Apple couldn't deliver on a colour of phone.

In the age of FUD and products that get announced to great fanfare and never reach the market, your up in arms over Apple not delivering on a white iphone?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hugh, the only one here who is "up in arms" is you. You are the one that stated
...but at least when he announces a product, you know its coming.
. The poster was merely questioning your statement with a concrete example.

·
Registered
216 Posts
And the Apple bashing continues by james99... What else is new?

Is anybody picking apart everything Steve Balmer says? 'Cause it ain't like the guy doesn't put his foot in his mouth occasionally.

The comparison with Sheen is low and tasteless, given the man's health.
Heck, that was classy compared to his Hitler Youth comparison.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I get the feeling sometimes that if Steve Jobs discovered the cure for cancer, james99 would point out what a self-serving ass Jobs was for doing so. ;)

But seriously, I gotta side with hugh on this. Sure, Jobs is a showman and his messaging is clear and concise - that's one of the reasons why the press eats up what he serves: just everything he says is a great sound bite. Even the arrogant, taunting, (sometimes inaccurate) stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts