Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and rightfully so. In my experience, a company only makes that drastic of a statement (slashed by 50%) when they are pushing you out the door. Maybe the Board of Directors is getting ready to toss that unsophisticated clown and put a capable executive in place.

SEC Filing

Reuters Report

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Wow that is an inaccurate thread title. He didn't have his bonus slashed, he just didn't get his maximum bonus. There is a HUGE difference.

The world's largest software company commended Ballmer for increasing sales 7 percent to a record $62.5 billion, cutting costs, launching the latest versions of Windows and Office, and pushing along cloud computing and gaming efforts.
Microsoft has flopped big time so far in the mobile sector, but he's done some very good things for them too.

Maybe the Board of Directors is getting ready to toss that unsophisticated clown and put a capable executive in place.
Are you serious? Questioning his competence as an executive is one thing, but are the personal insults really necessary?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
While I'll admit some of Ballmer's antics have been fairly odd (the infamous "Developers" intro comes to mind), TorontoColin does bring up a good point in that he has done some good things for the company. They made mistakes (Windows Vista) yet bounced back with Windows 7.

I think Microsoft's biggest mistakes tend to fall into two main categories: either seem very hesitant to change things (Tablet PCs, Windows Mobile), or they'll go and change way too much at once (Windows 3.1 to 95 / XP to Vista). They've struggled to find middle ground. When they do however, things tend to work fairly well.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The Windows OSes (the PC ones, that is) and the Office suites make money. They always have. With the license terms and the perennial lock-in of a vast array of business customers, that status is not likely to change soon. Steve Ballmer has presided over a period of time in which Microsoft has taken extreme measures to maintain that profit flow.

Under his watch, it seems like everything else Microsoft attempts, such as Mobile and Tablets, turns to ...muck.

So, disagree with me all you like, but "the street" talks louder than anyone in these forums and "the street" would not be happy with seeing Steve Ballmer getting a better deal than this. After all, the whole drop in his bonus was found in an SEC document. ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Oh I don't think he should get his full bonus. Half of what he did worked out and half didn't so he gets half of it. I think what they did was exactly right. However saying that he had his bonus slashed by 50% because he was deemed to be incompetent was incorrect; that only told half the story.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Personally, I think Ballmer is way over his head as CEO and believe his friendship with Gates is the only reason why he still works at MS.

Having said that, the title of this thread has been edited since it was grossly inaccurate and the tags removed because they bordered on trolling.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, ok, I was overly passionate, granted. I still maintain, though, that it was a dramatic message from the company about his performance in areas of the business that he has invested very foolishly.

I sense the BoD wants to see far better leadership.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Under his watch, it seems like everything else Microsoft attempts, such as Mobile and Tablets, turns to ...muck.
Mobile? Unless you are talking about the project "Kin" that he apologized for, what failed attempts?
Then "Tablets"? What do you mean by "Tablets"? Is there a Microsoft branded tablet recently that flopped?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Failed attempts to keep up with Apple. I love my iPhone/iPad but own Microsoft stock and think it's an absolute joke that Jobs introduced the iPhone more than three and a half years ago and Microsoft *still* doesn't have anything close to it in the marketplace. They've only been making mobile OS software for a decade now, after all.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
In terms of tablets, Microsoft has strongly believed that Tablet PCs running a full version OS was the way to go. Even at CES this year, Microsoft showed off an HP slate running Windows 7 (showing they hadn't really learned anything from the dismal sales of Tablet PCs in the past).

For phones, Microsoft has struggled to make a touch-friendly OS. Even with Windows Phone 6.5.x, you still tend to need a stylus for certain tasks. The only reason devices like the Omnia II didn't require a stylus much is because manufacturers started designing touch-friendly overlays (Touchwiz, Sense UI, etc)

Luckily Windows Phone 7 appears to be an improvement, so we'll just have to see what happens in the next year or so.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mobile? Unless you are talking about the project "Kin" that he apologized for, what failed attempts?
All the Windows Mobile OS versions up to 7.

Then "Tablets"? What do you mean by "Tablets"? Is there a Microsoft branded tablet recently that flopped?
The Microsoft Courier. Rumored long before the iPad, had tech journalists and geeks drooling, then killed before it saw the light of day. Had they brought this out on a decent schedule, it would have been Apple playing catch-up to MS, instead of Samsung, HP, Dell (etc) playing catch-up to Apple. Huge fail for Microsoft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts