Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Good news. I can't imagine that CTV won't make it available in HD.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I really wish that more of the talking heads shows would remain SD.

Just not that much improvement to the experience with being upscaled.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
This is not a question of upscaling. This means we'll see Stewart's and Colbert's facial deficiencies much more clearly, warts and all!

There goes the ratings! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any information on if/when CTVHD will actually broadcast these shows in HD? The first HD shows where Monday January 4th and they were in SD on CTVHD, at least for us Videotron people.

I assume there are HD rights issues to work out?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Same in Calgary

I am watching CTV HD over the air in Calgary now and the Daily Show is in SD here, too, not HD. :(
Just wrote CTV (network) an e-mail. I will relay their response, if I get one.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I found it rather disappointing that CTV is still airing it in SD. I bet they are happy that they no longer have to black out the comedy central logo though.:)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
As usual, Canadian viewers get a lesser variant of television. Here's hoping they are receiving the HD feed and are slow after the holidays and will fix it starting today. Hey we can always hope.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
I especially enjoyed Colbert taunting those of us who didn't get the widescreen version.
I glimpsed the Kleenex box on the right briefly before it disappeared in the sidebars -- but what on Earth did he hide on the left??

·
Banned
115 Posts
ha ha downbeat, he should put something there every night. LOL

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I wonder where all those CTV stooges who come out of the woodwork when it comes to the local TV matter campaign are with the answer to CTV dropping the ball here?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Anybody remember when Conan went HD? He put footage of Pamela Anderson pole dancing on either edge of the screen and taunted SD viewers on what they were missing. Very funny.

·
Super Moderator
56,634 Posts
Everyone watching Colbert, please contact your CTV affiliate and advise them that you wish to see the HD version, not SD. They may simply not have "flicked a switch" or be getting the HD feed, etc (for which they do have to pay rights). For an HD channel to not air a current HD programme is inexcusable, especially if it's the only channel where the programme is available.

·
Super Moderator
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could it be a case that CTV does not have access to COmdey Central's HD feed?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Could it be a case that CTV does not have access to COmdey Central's HD feed?
I suspect thats it. They'd need to buy the approprate sat rcvr with the appropriate decoder/demux. Then they need HD server space to record it and play it out.
All not cheap. And for the price of the late nite commercials, looks like a money loser to me.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
But it would seem to me that paying for such things is part and parcel of having an HD channels and getting HD sim/sub requirements.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
But it would seem to me that paying for such things is part and parcel of having an HD channels and getting HD sim/sub requirements.
...and a small price to pay in the greater scheme of being given near total monopoly over the captive television market of 35 million people.

Being given these licenses comes with a moral if not legal obligation to do at least a half decent job of it.... and they have failed on this more times than we can count.

Excuses about HD server space and all the rest are ridiculous. CTV and company: do your job more consistently one of these decades, kay?

Everyone here knew this was coming. If you are a worker or executive at CTV and weren't aware these significant programs were changing format, then frankly you aren't paying enough attention to your job to deserve your paycheque. It would be like an IT worker saying "yeah I heard there's like a new sequel to Windows Vista coming out sometime... not sure when or what it's called though"

1 - 20 of 82 Posts