Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
correct, the db4e and db8e were optimized for up to ch 51 (698 MHz top end).
While the db4 and db8 were the previous versions optimized up to ch 69.
To date, I think the only antennas you'll find optimized for 14-36, the latest spectrum,
are the DIY designs provided by holl_ands and other hobbyists.
Maybe Televees has something more recent that doesn't rely on external filtering?
I have the Filter already, I guess the proper gain on 14-36 would be what we are really after.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
exactly...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hmmm, I was looking at some CM Yagi style combo antennas and they are cutoff at 51 as well... if my calculation was correct. Still goes well beyond the current TV frequencies but still smaller than the older stuff.

Channel Master Advantage 45
Electrical Specifications

Bandwith54 to 216 and 470 to 700 MHz
VHF Gain7.9dB
UHF Gain7.7dB
Front to Back Ratio12dB

·
Registered
135 Posts
The Stellar Labs 8 Bay is $92 CDN on Newark... was wondering about this one. My only consideration would be Wind Loading and keeping the arms from not going out of alignment. Was thinking about pointing one end at Detroit and the other at Toledo or Stevenson/Leamington.

Also considering the DB4e or DB8e. Price for the Stellar Labs seems pretty attractive.

30-2431

Antenna, Bowtie, UHF/HDTV, Outdoor, Dual Quad Bay, 80 Mile, 470MHz to 872MHz

The 2370 is listed at $30.

I did some testing of Stellar Labs versus Antennas Direct X element antennas. A company called Solid Signal markets the Stellar Labs as their "Extreme antenna HDB91X" It is the same antenna as the 2370. Side by side comparison Same Day within minutes of each other. Not surprisingly, the AD 91XG came out on top in the uppermost channels whereas the knock off actually did better around RF 27,28, 29 :

Plot Rectangle Slope Font Line

I may revisit this now that I have a good quality Spectrum analyzer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Has anybody ever done a direct comparison of the Antenna direct DB8E and Channel Master 4228? the more I play with these 8 bays the more I get the feeling that the single feedpoint on the 4228 is a big advantage.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would agree.
I have tried both of these. I did not see a big difference, but the CM has the advantage of being able to pull in Hi VHF.
Even though the AD allows the separate bays to pivot, I found the best operation is when they are in the exact same direction. Also, the AD is about 2 pounds heavier.

I remember the advice of taking off the little black covers from each CM bow to eek out a little more gain; they easily come off.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts