Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

321 - 340 of 723 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
It looks like sdilullo is the only one that seems to have a SH in his attic
Actually I have a SH in the attic to compliment my two SBGH antennas. It is setup on the VHF connection of the CM-7777 preamp. It was one of the early builds, so it really isn't tuned for VHF like some of newer designs, so I'm thinking of building one of the later models and test them.

I'm also in the the testing stage of a Scatter Forager build, and have been very impressed with it. So I'm planning on a good'ol shoot-out between that antenna and the SH builds, now that the weather is cooling outside, and can comfortably sit up in the attic.

I have to admit, the SH performed very well, and I picked up WNGS one tropo evening with it. It also picked up, but not enough for a lock, on RF12 out of Erie.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Post 316 is showing how I mounted the flat aluminium elements. That antenna is the Post #289 design, but I was just trying it with the wings flipped upward. But I found it's best with the lower legs positioned straight and angled downward as shown in Post #289

Post#289 with the 15" lower legs seems to be the best for VHF and the UHF seems to be optimized thanks to nikiml's evaluation of the upper element length configuration. I only have two digital VHF stations so far in this area, 12RF WSEE & 7RF WNGS. Analog 5&6 still come in but snowy, analog 9 & 11 boom in crystal clear, but Digital 7RF WNGS booms in here now and 12RF remains about the same as with the other SH designs, so I know the VHF range has much improved according to my reception results. I now have the SH#289 version on my house tower as well as on my shop mast. Both are doing a great overall job.

I'm not sure if anyone has actually modeled the #289 version, but I've found that modeling doesn't necessarily prove or disprove the actual performance. It's all about location, and whether the signal is possible in your area without the need for an extreme directional antenna.

If your in an area of potential co-channel or multipath, then a mult-directional antenna is not the best choice. In such case a directional with good f/b rejection and a rotor should be considered rather than a fixed omni directional.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Attic SH

I've been watching this thread for a while due to my father-in-law's recent frustration with his attic-mounted CM 4221(4-bay). It looks like sdilullo is the only one that seems to have a SH in his attic. :confused:

Are there any caveats with putting one in an attic? I see things like "The SH is very sensitive to any objects being too close to the element" in post 295. Not sure what this might mean for the location to place it within the attic?!? Is it reasonable to think it may outperform a 4221 from the attic? It's a 2-story house so it would be quite high above ground level.

Assuming this is worth trying, I'm wondering what to build it with considering both performance and ease of acquiring the materials. I have a metal shop close to me (ie. very easy to get the materials) that have things like 1/8" or 3/16" aluminum rods. Would these be suitable?

Thanks for any advice!
I do have mine in the attic - I built based on the Post #94 dimensions. There's still some interference but it appears to be due more to the transmitters being so close (too much gain on some locals) to my house than anything else.

I'm currently debating whether I should re-configure my antenna into the now-preferred Post #298 SH.

Also, I still haven't tried to place any sort of reflector/shield between the antenna and the Dayton locals to block some of the signals that are overpowering my tuner. On top of that I still want to hook the antenna to a different tuner and see if that's a possible weak point.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
Are Dual Stealth Hawks possible?

Has anyone seen this Winegard FV-HD30?

It looks similar to the Stealth Hawk elements. Possibly two SH elements back to back? One upside down and one right side up. From what info I've found, it sounds like the 2 elements are 6" apart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question about legs on diagram 289

ota_canuck,

I have been reading with interest the posts on the Stealth Hawk antenna design.
In the antenna diagram in post 289, how far below the feed point are the ends of the 15 inch legs?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
ota_canuck,

I have been reading with interest the posts on the Stealth Hawk antenna design.
In the antenna diagram in post 289, how far below the feed point are the ends of the 15 inch legs?

Thanks
about fifteen inches :p

Sorry,.. I couldn't resist! ;)

Just follow the leg lengths. The bends at the feed point should be approx 80°.

To answer your question: Could be 11" to 12" depending on many build variables. The actual distance on the horizontal planes from the feed point to the tips of the 15" legs would be a residual length due to variations in wire size used, straightness of the wire, the variable of the radius of the bend at the feed point, etc.

I have experimented with various bottom leg angles and I've found that 80° is ideal for VHF performance in my market location.
Using 90° bends are good for wider multi-directional beamwidth on UHF and 70° bends seem to be more bi-directional F/B on UHF. The 70° & 90° bends seem to reduce VHF performance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I chose the SH-289 as my first attempt at a DIY build. Glad I did! So far it's exceeded my expectations based on a first try.

I picked up some 10 AWG wire from the local Home Depot and stripped it. I mounted the wire on a cedar plank left over from my deck build. I used little plastic pieces to stand it off from the wood and attached it to the balun with some wood screws. The balun I got from The Source -- it's a Nexxtech I believe.

Here's my TV fool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=c572f7bd9df482

So from my second floor window I was able to get everything digital up to and including WFFF. I could get WVNY only if I held it up high outside the open window.

This morning I decided to take it to highest point in the attic and test some more. WVNY now comes in with 3-4 bars on my Samsung TV but still shows some macroblocking. WFF is stable picture at 4 bars and WCAX and WPTZ come in at 9 and 10 bars respectively.

I'm pretty happy!

I'm only really interested in getting the US nets, so I would like to get a stable signal on WVNY. Do you think a pre-amp would help? If so, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
morden;

The SH's are low gain which means it doesn't have much drive to get the signal through a long run of cable without some amplification.

If your antenna is indoors, then an in line drop-amp or a distribution amp [booster] will do wonders. It could make those 3-4 bars a solid 10 bars providing that the signal is strong enough at the antenna.

You have some very strong analog stations right in your backyard which could cause some overloading, so I'd be wary of adding a powerful mast mounted pre-amp.

*Also note that WVNY has co-channel and adjacent channel warnings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I didn't test with a very long run -- it was maybe 30-40ft long at most. It was just enough to get down from the attic across the house to the TV on the second floor. The plan is to eventually to run a wire down to the basement to my HTPC.

Based on the 40ft run for testing, do you think I have a strong enough signal "at the antenna" for WVNY?

Also I'm new to OTA so if you have any specific hardware recommendations that would be a help.

Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm only really interested in getting the US nets, so I would like to get a stable signal on WVNY. Do you think a pre-amp would help? If so, what would you recommend?
What helped me the most on my Grey-Hoverman is to add the Narod (this is the subject of another thread) and then I added an the GE amp from Canadian Tire (20$). The amp has a 5.2 dB of noise (from memory) which is twice what a good exterior pre-amp will add to your signal. However, it has 2 good characteristics: it's only 20$ AND if it doesn't work for you, you just have to return it to Canadian Tire.

I tried that by inserting it close to my attic GH and by magic WFFF got from inexistant to present-with-pixelation. All the other channels got more bars. I couldn't leave it in the attic because there is no power over there, but I'll add a plug in the next 2 hours. (It has been on my to-do list for too long).

jf

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hat's off to the SH

Well, I made it up in the attic today to swap out the SH and test a Scatter Forager, and what did I find?

Well over the course of the summer, I guess with the heat, how I mounted the SH in the attic, and the feed line coming out the side of my PVC, which most likely gave it enough pull, I found that the "Hawk" was sideways. One of the elements must have hit the roof hard enough to totally knock it off, so there was only one element attached to the balun.

Don't know when this happened, but despite this, I was still able to actually receive some VHF channels (the SH was connected to the CM-7777 VHF input).

So my hat goes off to the SH. This version that I built will now be retired, but I will try out a different version in the future and give the Scatter Forager a good run for its money.

·
Registered
600 Posts
To follow up on my post above. This illustration show the orientation of the SH when I went up in the attic:

Prior to going up in the attic and discovering this, here is a screen capture of CTV analog from that antenna:

Not bad from a broken antenna.:D

Gotta admit, this, along with finding the mast of one of my Hoverman's bent in relation to its mesh reflector, most likely due to the extreme attic heat during the summer, taught me the true harsh realities of attic mounting.

·
Registered
150 Posts
SH-241 w/NAROD vs SH-289 on VHF-HI

ota_canuck,

Would the SH-241 with NAROD outperform the optimized SH-289 on VHF-HI? Specifically ch 13?

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
The added NAROD as shown in post #241 seems to boost VHF slightly, but possibly damages the upper UHF channels. The Stealth Hawk that I normaly use on my house tower 'does not have a NAROD' and I have 12RF from 55 miles away. Adding the Narod seemed to help a bit with current analog reception on channels 5RF & 6RF.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
morden,

your best bet for all channels, including WVNY, is an M4 (the only size factor is the large screen), there is tons of info & threads on it,

if it goes in the attic though, all bets are off, and even more so with SH, just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
morden,

In reading other posts in this forum, it seems that others in your area have various antennas outdoors and WVNY remains illusive. Can you mount the SH outside above any local obstructions to see if there's even a sniff of WVNY?

321 - 340 of 723 Posts