Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 723 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
avenger,

If VHF is important to you, then I would recommend that you use the closed loop design.

#10 wire or bigger seems to be what's most commonly used on most builds found in this forum. I have also used flat 3/4"x 1/16th aluminium with much success.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Built one with # 6 wire

ota_canuk,

I went to my trusty Home Depot and bought some #6 (gounding wire) and made the Stealth Hawk using post #94. It was mades with a closed loop design. I took great care to make the dimentions per drawing. I regret to say that there was no great improvement from the thin wire model. The picture seems a bit clearer but there was no increase in the amount of channels received.

According to the tvfool site, I should be able to receive two clumps of channels in my area from two main directions of about 180 degrees apart. As I stated before most of the channels received are from the New Orleans, Louisiana ares, with a couple from the Biloxy Mississippi area.

I have not giving up yet. Some how I am not able to send/download you a copy of my tvfool results. Therefore I am sending you my zip code 70458 which is my location in Slidell, Louisiana. Maybe if you have a chance, you can look at it and tell me if there can be some chance of reception improvement.

Thanking you in advance

avenger

·
Registered
600 Posts
Actually, avenger indicated in a post above that he is receiving 25 stations (wishes to receive 30). If that TVFool report is accurate, then he is getting channels in the gray with a NM of -14.6dB :eek:, which for any antenna, is really impressive :cool:. I guess we should ask avenger, which channels are giving him grief? If they are ones in the green/yellow, then that is a cause for concern.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Here are some of the channels not getting.

With the Stealth Hawk antenna per post #94, I am getting almost all of the New Orleans area minus WLAE, which is channel32 a PBS station which is about 19.4 miles from Slidell, and WUPL which is channel 54, and is 25.2 miles from Slidell. All of these channels are in the Green area. Yet it is able to pick up some of the channels on the Pink area which are as far as 55 miles and the longest distance is 63 miles.

The height of the antenna is 19ft. From this height the antenna receives any where from a low as 20 channels to the high of 25. It all depends on what direction it get pointed, I did not play with the botton wire as I did previously.

Loking at the tvfool, and using the Stealh Hawk, what would be the best direction in degrees to point the antenna to.

Since the antenna does not have a true front, how do I go about using a reference to back or front.:confused:

I can assure you that I am having fun learning about building this type of antnnas.

Thanks for looking into my tvfool profile,

avenger.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Stealth Hawk aiming

Yes,.. Stealth Hawk aiming can be tricky until you understand the variables of the gain contours of the SH's multidirectional antenna characteristics.

Perhaps this could assist with your Stealth Hawk antenna aiming questions:

As you can see the contour changes with various frequencies. The VHF is pretty well straight forward & backward <---->, whereas the UHF contour is more of a 4way [ X ] cross pattern.

I borrowed these charts from one of hol_ands 1st nec modeling results of the Stealth Hawk design to demonstrate how the antenna aiming relates to the contour of the Stealth Hawk antenna's gain patterns.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This one is a flame thrower and it's less than 10 miles away, maybe attenuating WITO [41RF] would help. Or you could simply add about 50ft of cable inline to see what effect attenuating will have on that station.
I'll try the extra cable idea first since that's pretty easy to test out. At the end of the day I might be able to live without the station since I'm picking up all the Cincy ones so well.

I suppose it's a testament to the Stealth Hawk that it's pulling in some of my locals too well!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #288
loveota,

Go back to post#184 & post #190:

I have made a few mods to your test model that takes VHF & nikiml's top diamond optimization into consideration. I made the following leg length changes.

The top diamond leg length is changed to 6.5"
The bottom diamond leg length is changed to 8.5"
The bottom splayed leg is 15"
All side bends are 80° and the top bend is about 120°
The diamond height to the feed point is 9.5"
The width of the diamond is 12"

This seems to give a stable full range 7-51 with good signal strength performance throughout the VHF & UHF bands +FM.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ota_canuck, today I built the stealth hawk in the post above. I had several inches of extra wire left over when I got to the bottom, so rather than cut it off, I bent them up on each side at a slight angle. Works great, works better than my double diamond stealth hawk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Built two used newest one.

ota_canuck,

Today I built the newest revised version of September 10, 2010. I built it out of 14 gage copper wire. What gage of wire do you recomend for the build of this antenna. Is flat wire better than round wire, or does it make any difference.

I Spent most of the afternoon rotating and taking notes on the progress. I cannot get the Stealth Hawk to be able to receive no more than 11 stations out of the normal 14 stations for this area.

I beleive that part of the problem might be that the pole or mast is only 18.5 ft in lenght. I like the simplicity and the easy build of this antenna, but some how it is not working for me in comparison to the 9 1/2" Wiskers type .

Will use and play with the 14" long leg lenght antenna tomorrow. Will see if this one works much better than the 15" leg lenght one.

Will report tomorrow on the testing progress.

avenger

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like the Nec pattern but it shows some tilt should be needed, for the forward gain is pointing just below center. Vhf gain is just over 2dbi with @ 4 swr, Uhf showed 5+ dbi with swr of 2 across the band. The 5" extra legs messed up the swr. I played with the height if the bottom legs and found 8" below the feedpoint was a good compromise of gain and swr. Opening the top sends the gain pattern downwards and swr up.
Its interesting to see how the patterns change as you increase frequency . The higher ones is where I`m seeing the most of the omni-like patterns. This model should do well in scattered UHF markets aimed just right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Built two used newest one.

ota_canuck,

Today I built the newest revised version of September 10, 2010. I built it out of 14 gage copper wire. What gage of wire do you recomend for the build of this antenna. Is flat wire better than round wire, or does it make any difference.

I Spent most of the afternoon rotating and taking notes on the progress. I cannot get the Stealth Hawk to be able to receive no more than 11 stations out of the normal 14 stations for this area.

I beleive that part of the problem might be that the pole or mast is only 18.5 ft in lenght. I like the simplicity and the easy build of this antenna, but some how it is not working for me in comparison to the 9 1/2" Wiskers type .

Will use and play with the 14" long leg lenght antenna tomorrow. Will see if this one works much better than the 15" leg lenght one.

Will report tomorrow on the testing progress.

avenger

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
The SH must be mounted at the very tip of the mast. The mast can not be any higher than the feed point. The SH antenna performs very bi-directional/multi-directional and nearly omni-directional on some frequencies. It will work with VHF and UHF channels from 7-51. The SH is very sensitive to any objects being too close to the element. It must be mounted away from any nearby trees/walls/people etc. If anything is near the antenna, then it will not work well.

I still don't understand why it's not working for you :confused:

What are you using to separate the feed points? Plastic? Wood?
Is the mast metal, plastic ?
What kind of balun?
Are you using an amplifer or splitters?
Are you using RG6 cabling?
How long is the downlead cable?

I use #10 galvanized wire [about 1/8" thickness]. I have used flat aluminium material, but I find that round wire works slightly better. You could try thicker wire, but I have no reason to believe that #14 wire should be a problem. There is something amuck with the build or the mast mounting or the antenna location. You should be getting as good as what you can get with a 4bay, but a lot less aiming is required with a SH antenna.
Rotating the SH antenna in very slight increments can make the difference in being in a null or a lobe.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
loveota,

forward gain is pointing just below center
That may indicate that the top diamond may be a bit too big for the leg lengths. I've seen the reverse of this in some earlier SH models where a 7" diamond configured over a 8" lower leg configuration tilts the gain upward.

Maybe taking 1" away from the top diamond legs would shift the gain upwards:

- top diamond legs 6"
- bottom diamond legs 8"
- bottom legs 15"

I still believe the the longer 14-15" lower legs are needed to achieve VHF. When I've tried shorter lower legs, the VHF drops off. I agree that the 8" lower leg length is ideal for the UHF gain&SWR, but it defeats the purpose of the Stealth Hawk's VHF/UHF multiband capability.

·
Registered
58 Posts
ota_canuck,

The antenna is at the tip of the mast.
Am using plastic to separate the feed point.
The mast is wood. 1"x1"x8'
Radio Shack balun.
No amplifier or splitter.
Using RG6 cabling.
Are you reffering to the total run of cable?. Downlead cable?

Noticed that rotating the antenna ever so slightly does change the amount of stations received. I keeps flactuating between 9, 10, 11 stations. Loosing stations channel numbers like 13, 32, 47. and then channels 19, 49, 54. Never repeats.

The antenna is doing and showing many stations, but not as much as the Bow Tie type. I am not disapponted with its performance, but after reading some of the comments and reviews, I though that it would out perform the Gray-Hoverman and the Bow Tie.

Will reverify all the point that you made such as being in the top most part of the mast and so on. Will give it another try tomorrow, will report the findings.
avenger

·
Registered
59 Posts
avenger, get a signal amplifier and mount the stealth hawk as high up as you can get it. If you go to a Home Depot or Lowes, they have 16 ft telescoping poles, which you can attach a squeegee to and wash windows high up. Attach the stealth hawk to it extend it to the maximum and then attach it to your mast with a couple of U bolts. Stealth hawks are so small and light weight that wind is rarely a problem.

ota_canuck, I hate to do it, but tomorrow I will cut the excess wire off the bottom legs of the stealth hawk. Also, from my personal experiences, I have found that thicker wire helps with reception of channels. It doesn't necessarily help pull in new channels, but the ones you get come in better. I especially noticed it with the stealth hawk I made out of 1" copper pipe.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Avenger,

The Stealth Hawk is not a high gain antenna, so if your cable lengths are 30ft or more, you would definately require some sort of amplification. A 4bay antenna would be a higher gain, but being a more directional antenna it would have a higher gain to be able to deal with longer cable lengths up to 50ft without needing an amplifier. I think in your case, some kind of amplification will be needed if you intend to use the multi-directional SH antennas.

Holding an antenna in the air on a wooden stick won't get very consistent or stable results. An antenna must be mounted secure and steady to avoid any irratic movements. Rocking or shaking an antenna back and forth will cause pixelation and dropouts due to the induced multpath effect of the signals. Ideal height for antenna mounting would be 20ft+ or at least over the rooftop of your house to avoid reflected multipath issues.

I have always used a metal mast grounded properly. Antenna mast grounding is quite important for both safety and performance. If you're in a location where multipath is a local issue, then you'll have to stick with some of the more directional antennas like the XG91 with a good f/b ratio and using a rotor to aim at each transmitter to tune in specific channels.

281 - 300 of 723 Posts