Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Broadcast Flag on ATSC M/H (mobile) stations in Canada

stampeder and others:
Does this Broadcast Flag exist or can exist on regular ATSC (OTA) channel broadcasting??

If so, there's really no point in investing in an HTPC, which I've been strongly considering. :mad:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Nope, the Broadcast Flag is not implemented on standard ATSC DTV broadcasts in Canada at this time, although there is provision in the standard for it.

Back to Mobile ATSC M/H discussion.

·
Registered
340 Posts
While I hate to continue an off-topic discussion, there does exist a broadcast flag in ATSC, but it is largely not implemented. There are some stations in the US transmitting it but most receivers don't respect it anyway. If you look at certain stations on RabbitEars, for example WCCB in Charlotte NC, you'll see a red flag symbol which indicates the presence of the broadcast flag on that station.

Okay, back on topic we go. :)

- Trip

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Some decent VHF tonight, found CKCO VHF 13 from Kitchener barely getting here. Pixelating too much to be watchable on ATSC using the TV or the PC tuner. As advertised though, the ATSC-MH signal works like a champ. Same story, can't record it.
snippet of the SNR below ATSC threshold as reported by a regular ATSC tuner.
Code:
$ femon -a1
FE: Samsung S5H1409 QAM/8VSB Frontend (ATSC)
status       | signal -848 | snr 14.0 dB | ber 0 | unc 0 | 

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
This is interesting, adjusted my antenna with the rotor to the point the ATSC-MH signal dropped out, then bumped back just enough to lock it in again. Had to move the antenna > 70 degrees from where it was at peak, past Erie, PA to get the MH signal from Kitchener to fade out.
Went and checked the signal on the spectrum analyser and I see the ATSC Pilot at ~ -93 dBm. I usually see the ATSC pilot at around -82, -83 when ATSC signals are marginal.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can't imagine it would be very hard for someone to make software that ignores these broadcast flags, unless the signals become encrypted.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
For regular ATSC reception, MythTV ignores the Broadcast Flag on the software side, and pcdhtv ignores them on the hardware side, so you would be okay with those. Regarding ATSC M/H I would like to know how to bypass the Broadcast Flag too.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My perceptions are that the broadcast record inhibit flag is a discussion for the Copyright Modernization Act thread elsewhere. :)

The history of these types of content control tends to go like this:

1) Display devices bypass these (ratings excepted)
2) Active routing equipment (switches, video routers etc) in the US at least must obey it
3) Recording devices must adhere to it.

'Nuf on that.

I think that at least M/H will survive rough reception a lot better then standard ATSC.

Cameron

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
actually, in the US the broadcast flag was contested in court and the FCC's desired rule to mandate the flag was struck down by the courts in 2005. So, up until now this is the first we've seen it become an issue since. But, obviously these stations are in Canada, not the US.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/120748/fccs_broadcast_flag_overturned.html

BTW, if anyone is aware of any SW other than the Hauppauge WinTV that will Play an ATSC-MH program,
I'd be eager to try that out also.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
Legacy ATSC PC Tuner MH support

This program will allow any legacy ATSC PC based tuner hardware to
play an ATSC MH signal. It is commercial Shareware with a 7 day trial, so it's not free. But if ya have a legacy ATSC tuner and just wanna play with these for a while, I just tested it with the eVGA inDtube ATSC Tuner I have and it seems to work.

Apparently a license is ~ 12 bux. Remains to be seen whether it's worth it or not.

http://www.mobile-dtv-viewer.com/DownloadATSC.html

below it is playing CBC French ATSC , and the CBC-E M/H program simultaneously.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
^^^^^
Stampeder and any other linux beards around here...Maybe drop a line to Michael Krufky here...

http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?m=201201

Basically, I want to know if anybody cares about ATSC-MH. Do you want to be able to watch TV on your linux-based laptop / mobile device while commuting to work on the train? Do you want to display video advertisements and other content on the sides of city buses? Do you want to be able to enjoy your favorite television show *while* crossing the street? Please let me know. I want to know if it’s worth it to move forward with this. Are there any users or companies that want or need to use ATSC-MH in Linux, or should I just wait until I have nothing better to do? I *will* get this completed eventually, I’m just trying to understand how much it will benefit the community. If nobody cares, then I’ll surely get this all done within the year (or so) … but if people really are interested, I can have it ready by next weekend. You tell me.
lol, yes there isn't much use i have for windows here. this is one of em. matter of time till linux developers start coming up with some tools.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Thanks for that link! Comment posted there, and now I'm in the curious position of waiting for my post there to be approved... shoe on the other foot, as they say. :D
stampeder on KernelLabs site said:
Hi Michael and thanks for all your work on this! With ATSC-MH stations starting to come up in Canada there has been discussion in the Digital Home OTA Forum about whether it will be possible to dump ATSC-MH stream and data info in Linux in a similar fashion to what tsreader does in Windows. Many of us run MythTV boxes and would highly appreciate your work towards full support of the ATSC-MH standard. Here’s a link to the latest discussions on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=154600

Also, have you had any contact with the MythTV folks regarding ATSC-MH support at the application level?

cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
CKCO

I got this reply, from the VP of CKCO about mobile testing

Yes, discovered we are conducting a test at the request of some high tech firms in the region. It's just a temporary thing for now.

Just to let you know why they are testing it. I would imagine it would be for RIM has they are the biggest player in the region for Mobile Devices.....

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
^^^^
There are other high tech firms in Waterloo Region other than RIM. Even ones that develop mobile devices and applications. Google is here. Microsoft has a small office here as well. ;)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts