Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would it sound ok with just a receiver and bookshelf speakers? I want to slowly build more on when I get more money to do so. This is what im looking at so far.
I was originaly looking at Sony STRDH510 then I found Pioneer VSX-520-K for $50 bucks more. Not sure if its worth it. For the speakers I am totaly open to suggestions. Right now I am really liking the Cerwin Vega VE-5M. I found some Cerwin Vega E-780 speakers for $150 bucks locally used but I cant find much info on them, anyone know if there any good?

This is mostly for TV and Watching movies from PC

·
Registered
375 Posts
The Pio is definiately a better option than the Sony, but also look at entry level options from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, and Harman/Kardon. Lots of good AVRs out there, but make sure you don't spend too little today and regret it tomorrow. Getting a good high current amp is valuable in ensuring good clean distortion free power. Demo a bunch,and only buy from a place where you can return it if it sounds wrong at your place!

If you're looking at bookshelfs, you can go two ways - either small speakers you wish to use as surrounds later, or big ones you can use as fronts later.

If cost is a concern, there are some very nice used bookshelves available, with good deals available on some good Canadian brands such as PSB, Athena, Sound Dynamics, and Paradigm, or good other brands such as Boston Acoustics, Mission, and Wharfedale.

A nice older set of Paradigm Titans, 3se, 5se or 7se should be available in the used market for under $100, and would give you much better detail than the CVs. I do like CVs, but find them a bit bit hot and lacking detail on the high end.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you can add a centre channel speaker to add to the equation (preferably matching), it would greatly enhance movie viewing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
If you can add a centre channel speaker to add to the equation (preferably matching), it would greatly enhance movie viewing.
Agreed unless you are buying good quality full range fronts which can cover for the center (phantom) and the lack of sub (setting the fronts to full range) in the mean time and then add as budget allows you to do so.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Boxing day is under two months away! Usually see good prices on the mid-level (i.e. not junk) Yamahas then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts