Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I've been curious for some time now. Living in Ontario for all my life and listening to sports radio for a huge chunk of it, I've always been fascinated by sports talk radio.

I have seen that there is a serious lack of other main world sports being talked about on air or podcasts locally such as Football, LaCrosse, Cricket, Racing and Rugby. With the CPL being started and rugby with The Toronto Arrows and Toronto Wolfpack and also a huge serge of immigrants from football and cricket areas I think its a huge market to tap into.

Now I would also focus on many other main sports like hockey and baseball as well but I'd want a mixture of both.

So my question is what would be the cost of buying a old AM or FM radio stations and stating all this with? Or would my best bet be to start a internet radio station and maybe go from there?
I have no background in the industry at all. Just a love for the medium and an idea

I am located in Barrie,Ontario if that helps.

·
Registered
9,315 Posts
The first step is to learn the business. I would do that by getting a job at a sports station or similar business. Starting a podcast might be a good first step. Pick a sport you know and start "broadcasting." That would look good on the CV.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
it would probably be easier to start by finding local rugby, cricket, lacrosse games etc, bidding on or setting up the broadcast rights to some of them, then finding an existing radio station and "purchase" a block of airtime and use that opportunity to broadcast local sporting events on an existing radio station time block, as long as the broadcast license of that station allows it. Then depending on how popular your radio show becomes, it may eventually warrant its own station.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts