Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Of course it's a sham, it's run by government; people really expected something more? I've heard it's being used as a sucker list.

Thankfully, those of us using 20th century telephony (i.e. VoIP) have 1000% more control than the poor saps still using pots/cable. Thanks to effective CID filtering, I've not received a telemarketing call in well over a year :)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Same here. Joining the do-not-call list was a mistake. Calls got worse. Now we have a phone that allows CallerID filtering. It's been several times more effective than that useless list.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Marcp, what is the make of your phone?

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's a nice phone. Right now, I'm with Primus and enjoy the telemarketers blocking capabilities, but I am less happy about the general quality of the calls (not voip). This phone replaces the need to pay for voice mail, and would mostly replace the Primus call blocking capabilities.

How well does it work? And how much was it at Costco? And the main unit is corded, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
It was $89 at Costco as best as I can remember (bought it a month ago, but my short term memory doesn't extend that long). Another really nice feature is that it shares the phonebook between all handsets. Save a number on one handset and they all get it. Plus the base is a wired handset that works during power outages.

This is a bit off-topic, though. The point is that it allows CallerID filtering and it works well. For the callers who spoof their CID, they usually do it in an extremely obvious manner (i.e. 123-456-7890) so I don't bother answering. And the real-life result is that out annoyance level has gone down a whole lot more than joining that laughable do-not-call list. We used to get calls from that one number about duct cleaning daily and you could tell from the noisy background that it was a boiler room call center. No amount of diplomacy or screaming would change anything. Now it's quiet.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks. And I don't think it's off-topic. It's all about avoiding telemarketers, which ties in with the Do Not Call List. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts