Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
That is quite expensive gdmaclew, and I assume those are American dollars. That's $662.50 in Canadian Dollars. People who buy electronics early always pay more. I remember paying $1000 for an early satellite receiver and around the same price for a VCR in the 80's!
A big part of the cost is the technology. It uses something called "phased array" antennas, which had previously been used for things like military radar. Those antennas consist of many antennas over the area of the panel.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I'm not deterred either. But I'm sure, in a years time the prices will be more reasonable. I don't think they are inviting Eastern Canadians to test yet, anyway, so it's a mute point for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
On another site they are getting the kits shipped now in the USA !
Has anyone in Canada received a kit yet or been able to order & pay for one ?
what price in Can $?
thx in advance

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
One more very interesting comparison video:

The New Internet - Space X Starlink vs Amazon Kuiper vs OneWeb | Which is best?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Repeating the Question -Anyone in Canada been contacted by Starlink re Bata Testing ???
Thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Here we go !

·
Registered
34 Posts
So why is the federal government throwing a pile of our tax dollars to Telesat if the private sector is already moving to provide service without subsidy?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
The agreement with Telesat goes back to July 2019, long before SpaceX applied for any Canadian licences.
And that is supposed to excuse the waste? That SpaceX and others were planning to launch LEO satellites to offer global internet was known long before July 2019.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
I agree. Too many low orbit satellites and too much government money involved. It would make more sense to lease space from one of the other half dozen or so companies entering the business. It might even increase the chance of one of them becoming viable in the long term. It's a high cost, high risk business so Canadian taxpayers could end up footing a large expense with limited returns.

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
It would make more sense to lease space from one of the other half dozen or so companies entering the business.
That's exactly what the press release says. "Telesat will be eligible to receive amounts under the agreement over a ten year period once the Telesat LEO constellation enters service." Telesat is one of those half dozen private companies that launched their LEO test satellite in January, 2018. SpaceX launched their test in February, 2018.

The Canadian government is leasing a pool of capacity to provide broadband connectivity to entire communities in the far north, etc., not to individual consumers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
In July 2019 the fed govt gave Telesat a CONTRIBUTION of $85M from the Strategic Innovation Fund.

At the same time the feds announced a CONTRIBUTION of $600M as part of a $1.2B "partnership" over 10 years.

So Telesat was gifted $685M of our money (not counting the hundreds of millions handed out prior to 2019) plus another $600M in essentially guaranteed business.

This is subsidization on a massive scale.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts