Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 272 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I ordered mine on the 15th of Feb, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival! Can't wait to ditch Bells 3mps hub!

·
Registered
246 Posts
So just this past week, we received our hardware from Starlink, and I installed the system yesterday. What a difference! We went from about 4-5 mbs download speed and 1 mbs upload speed with a Bell hub, to 40mbs and 15mbs respectively. The last two days have been completely overcast, so I believe those numbers should be even better on clear days. Thank you Elon Musk! 😊

·
Registered
49 Posts
Up to 3 months so far, and still no complaints. Speed and latency have remained pretty constant. Outages and obstructions have been in the seconds per 24 hour window ranges. I only randomly check since it has been boring to watch.

Elon Musk is 'suggesting' a doubling in speed in 2021. Can't wait.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been following the Starlink beta roll-out on Facebook, but then I remembered digitalhome.ca. I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has information or links about progress in okaying and/or building ground stations in Canada. I presume that this will involve the CRTC? This would seem to be very important when thinking about the long-term viability of this technology.

My own situation is that I would love to use Starlink at my cottage, but await the app test on my roof when I can get up there this spring. Our whole property is covered by trees, so it will depend on visibility.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Dishies survive the winter if they are turned off for the season, since ours is a seasonal cottage. For that reason I'll also be interested to hear, presumably after the Beta, about seasonal plans.

We're in rural Ottawa, West Carleton, northwest of the city.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been following the Starlink beta roll-out on Facebook, but then I remembered digitalhome.ca. I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has information or links about progress in okaying and/or building ground stations in Canada. I presume that this will involve the CRTC? This would seem to be very important when thinking about the long-term viability of this technology.

My own situation is that I would love to use Starlink at my cottage, but await the app test on my roof when I can get up there this spring. Our whole property is covered by trees, so it will depend on visibility.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the Dishies survive the winter if they are turned off for the season, since ours is a seasonal cottage. For that reason I'll also be interested to hear, presumably after the Beta, about seasonal plans.

We're in rural Ottawa, West Carleton, northwest of the city.
Ground stations in Canada aren't necessary, and may be more hassle then they would be worth.

If I recall correctly, the Starlink site asks you for the Lat/Long of the location, before they will let you sign up. Some locations might be outside the current coverage area, or that cell might be at capacity.

If you can get it, its a good option!

·
Super Moderator
17,950 Posts
I haven't read this whole thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has information or links about progress in okaying and/or building ground stations in Canada. I presume that this will involve the CRTC?
Home - Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada is responsible for licensing spectrum. SpaceX has built one site at St John's, Newfoundland, which is licenced as a Developmental Gateway. Here's a map of all the Gateways showing existing coverage.

Surviving the winter shouldn't be an issue. Starlink plans are monthly, so you should be able stop and start when you please. The only issue during the early buildout is they may not have available capacity at your location when you want to reconnect in the spring.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Interesting. I wonder if Starlink will set up ISPs outside North America that are available for North American users. That is to provide IP addresses and DNS service.
I could live with just an IPV6 address if there was a convenient 6-4 tunneled available.

I know 57 will consider this too political but C10 worries me a bit. I am not interested in breaking Geofencing to watch copyrighted material but just watch thinks like YouTube and news sites unfiltered by the CRTC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
@timlocke

I could live with just an IPV6 address if there was a convenient 6-4 tunneled available.
With the Rogers cell network, 464XLAT is used for IPv4 traffic. No reason Starlink couldn't do similar.

·
Super Moderator
17,950 Posts
I wonder if Starlink will set up ISPs outside North America that are available for North American users. That is to provide IP addresses and DNS service.
As a licensed Canadian ISP, Starlink is required to follow the laws of Canada for all physical connections terminating in Canada, just like Rogers.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
We will see what happens with C10. Starlink only needs to emulate a long piece of cable and the ISP could be in another continent.
Two previous members of the CRTC were in today’s paper saying that C10 should be rethought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

261 - 272 of 272 Posts