Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

241 - 260 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I didn’t know there was a PoE injector box - thought it would’ve been a PoE router. That changes things.
(Too bad he completely ignored IPv6 in that video...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
^^^^
Yeah. I was also surprised to hear him talk about port forwarding through CGNAT. That ain't gonna happen. The only solution for the IPv4 address shortage is IPv6. Anything else is just a hack that at best delays the inevitable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
^^^^
Yeah. I was also surprised to hear him talk about port forwarding through CGNAT. That ain't gonna happen. The only solution for the IPv4 address shortage is IPv6. Anything else is just a hack that at best delays the inevitable.
I’m gobsmacked that IPv6 isn’t ubiquitous by now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I thought it was PoE to the dish...Cat6?
100’ is quite a bit in a residential install.
I didn’t know there was a PoE injector box - thought it would’ve been a PoE router. That changes things.
(Too bad he completely ignored IPv6 in that video...)
In the 10.0.28 release of the Starlink App, they have added a FAQ section.

They do not recommend extending the dish cable, but if you must they recommend Cat5E, or better, cable.

They say that it is IPv4, but they are working on IPv6 for the future. Once implemented, you will get both v4 and v6 addresses.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They do not recommend extending the dish cable, but if you must they recommend Cat5E, or better, cable.

They say that it is IPv4, but they are working on IPv6 for the future. Once implemented, you will get both v4 and v6 addresses.
There are increasingly affordable fibre options, believe it or not, is what I’ve learned on a subreddit where extending 300m for a clear view of the sky was the issue, plus you don’t have to contend with the dangers of differing ground potentials between the antenna and receiver.

And yes, everybody will be dual stack until we’re all v6. That’ll be a while yet, I’m afraid.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
In the 10.0.28 release of the Starlink App, they have added a FAQ section.

If you're worrided about distance with PoE, use CAT 6. It has larger wires.

·
Registered
185 Posts
What if you're in the middle of nowhere?
No no, for extending the link between Dishy and router. Using the same material as big cable/telcos to transmit data on your network.
It’s the correct method for isolating the dish from router/LAN Electronics in the case of a lightning strike, for instance

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
No no, for extending the link between Dishy and router. Using the same material as big cable/telcos to transmit data on your network.
It’s the correct method for isolating the dish from router/LAN Electronics in the case of a lightning strike, for instance

You then have to provide power, which brings the same problem. There are a few methods that reduce risk. For example a surge arrester on the cable, followed by a loop in the cable to add impedance. I have set up short haul microwave systems, that were connected with shielded CAT5 cable to an arrester & PoE. I have also installed similar systems, but with power over coax. These installations were on top of buildings. Of course every cell site would have similar issues and I have worked on some of those too.

There are proper ways to protect against such surges.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Couldn't you just use a flux capacitor? Sorry.... that's about the extent of my expertise in this field, and couldn't resist! 😆

·
Registered
49 Posts
Brief update on the last 3 weeks of usage. Much ado about nothing.

I'm seeing 2-3min/24hr of beta downtime. Latency is good. I've added a few more devices to the WIFI network (AppleTV, laptop, tablet, phone), and all have been sold.

Starlink sent me a 'pro forma' invoice for the service, and it looks like it will cost me $145/mo. taxes included. I think that is good value for my particular circumstances.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Starlink sent me a 'pro forma' invoice for the service, and it looks like it will cost me $145/mo. taxes included. I think that is good value for my particular circumstances.
Only $10 more than I'm paying for my current wireless provider for 30/3. But if I hadn't found my current provider and been rock solid with them, I'd be all over this. I may yet, but my provider is supposed to be upgrading to 50/10 "soon", so I'm holding out for now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Only $10 more than I'm paying for my current wireless provider for 30/3. But if I hadn't found my current provider and been rock solid with them, I'd be all over this. I may yet, but my provider is supposed to be upgrading to 50/10 "soon", so I'm holding out for now.
That makes no sense to me: $10 more per month to double what your current provider might eventually provide?
“Take my money, Elon” is what I would say to that provider

·
Registered
137 Posts
That makes no sense to me: $10 more per month to double what your current provider might eventually provide?
“Take my money, Elon” is what I would say to that provider
No argument from me. For me, the key is that I require incoming connections, so no NATting. My provider gave me a static IP at no extra charge. Supposedly Starlink will be going IPv6 with static IPs for all "soon", which may be the game-changer for me.

But in my area, I'm part of the chorus for all who ask to jump on Elon's bandwagon rather than mess around with the crappy alternatives.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Who needs a static IP with DDNS?
(Assuming your router supports it, that is. Most do)
Tunnelbroker.net will even give you a /48 IPv6 if your provider doesn’t yet offer it

·
Registered
137 Posts
Who needs a static IP with DDNS?
(Assuming your router supports it, that is. Most do)
DDNS only works if you can get incoming connections. Starlink, like many wireless providers (but luckily not mine) double-NATs, so no incoming. That's a show-stopper for me. Since my provider gave me a static IP for free, one less thing to worry about. Their non-static are also double-NATs.
But for 99% of other potential customers, they won't care about all that. I'm one of the "fringe". :)

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have had Starlink now for about 10 days. Muskoka, Ontario. Working very well. I had Bell Wireless Home Internet. After a week with Starlink I put Bell on a 6 month suspension, with the option to get it back within 24hrs. I have the dish on a pole mounted to the side of my house extending a few feet above the roof. I seem to be clear of obstructions, I was worried about a few trees. I work from home and connect to my office using a VPN and things are stable. I use Teams for various meetings and I have voip.ms for one of my phone lines. There are a few drops a day but reconnection takes about 30 seconds max, and both the VPN and Teams seem to recover on their own. That 30 seconds does feel like forever when you are in the middle of it. Mostly due to no satellites or beta downtime. No issues with streaming and now I can watch in 4K.
I am not using the Starlink router, I have just plugged in my current router, ( I have a number of DHCP IP reservations that I did not want to reconfigure just now) and I also use a TP-Deco M5 mesh system that still works fine. All of my KASA devices work fine.
The only thing I want to change is I want to get up on the roof when the snow is gone and better secure the dish. I can see it wobble about 1/2in back-forth in a good wind and I don't know if that affects performance. As of the first 10 days. yes I would recommend over Bell WHI if you use a lot of data and can handle the $800 up front charge.

241 - 260 of 272 Posts