Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 240 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Activated my Starlink Beta today. It was almost too simple. Just set it up beside the house and plugged it in. All the connections were already made in the box. A couple settings in the app, and done. Apparently it refines the obstructions for 24 hours to optimize performance.

Ran the speed test and saw 160Mbps, roughly 3 times my rural wireless speed.

Oddly, the dish faces north, tilted 18 degrees up from horizontal.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Oddly, the dish faces north, tilted 18 degrees up from horizontal.
That would depend on the orbit. If they're aiming for northern latitudes, the orbits would spend most of their time above that area, whereas geostationary satellites are over the equator.

There was a Russian system that had high inclination, elliptical orbits, to serve northern areas.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Perci, "Ran the speed test and saw 160Mbps"....Wow, that is excellent, and there are still more satellites to be launched.
Keep us up to date as time passes, Perci. Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perci, How long did it take for your equipment to arrive after ordering it?
I ordered Feb03, I got shipment notification on the 10th, and I received it on the16th. I let it acclimatize for a day before setting it up. Setup took about an hour because it was too simple. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Perci, "Ran the speed test and saw 160Mbps"....Wow, that is excellent, and there are still more satellites to be launched.
Keep us up to date as time passes, Perci. Thanks
A couple stats from the app. It is losing 29% of pings. In the past 12 hours Beta Downtime was 32 minutes. Satellites were obstructed for 3 hours. Ping loss was mostly attributed to being obstructed. Latecy to Google measured was 27ms. Starlink is measuring to Fortnite and Counter-Strike:GO as well, whatever the are.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
Putting the antenna beside the house could cause obstructed satellites. It needs a clear view to as much of the sky as possible. As the satellites are orbiting, they could be almost anywhere in the sky.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agreed. I put it in a temporary spot, just to get it running. Now I'm trying to decide where I can move it to minimize the obstructions. Not easy with only 100' of cable, and my terrain.
Putting the antenna beside the house could cause obstructed satellites. It needs a clear view to as much of the sky as possible. As the satellites are orbiting, they could be almost anywhere in the sky.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Agreed. I put it in a temporary spot, just to get it running. Now I'm trying to decide where I can move it to minimize the obstructions. Not easy with only 100' of cable, and my terrain.
What type of cable did it come with? Were there many satellite locations to line up with or just one? Are the satellites over the equator or ..?

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
What type of cable did it come with? Were there many satellite locations to line up with or just one? Are the satellites over the equator or ..?
The satellites are not over the equator. They're in orbits that favour the northern areas and so are continuously moving WRT the earth. This means you do not "line up" with anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It is POE (90w). It's hard to say the cable type. The dish end is covered and permanently attached. The other end looks like a USB Type A connector.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It is POE (90w). It's hard to say the cable type. The dish end is covered and permanently attached. The other end looks like a USB Type A connector.
Right, of course; Tesla = proprietary and/or nonstandard. That would be too easy.
So: you will have to put their base unit within 100’ of the dish and then extend with Cat6 to another switch/router. Will Elon let you bridge their equipment and use your own existing network setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Right, of course; Tesla = proprietary and/or nonstandard. That would be too easy.
So: you will have to put their base unit within 100’ of the dish and then extend with Cat6 to another switch/router. Will Elon let you bridge their equipment and use your own existing network setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It currently works:

221 - 240 of 272 Posts