Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 210 of 210 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Cham I would be interested to know the Canadian price for the equipment package, since the CBC article mentioned a Canadian price of $820, quite a bit higher than the U.S., even accounting for exchange. I wonder if that included sales taxes and brokerage fees.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #202

Cham I would be interested to know the Canadian price for the equipment package, since the CBC article mentioned a Canadian price of $820, quite a bit higher than the U.S., even accounting for exchange. I wonder if that included sales taxes and brokerage fees.

·
Super Moderator
17,512 Posts
Thanks sodly. The Canadian price of $649 makes more sense compared to $499 U.S. The CBC article was about a guy in New Brunswick where the HST is 15% compared to Manitoba GST+PST of 12%, so that makes sense as well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Price for me was same as the posting above. It's a big box so lots of shipping.
Had it set up and running with their Starlink router in about 10 minutes, takes about 5 minutes for the unit to find satellites and start working. Really dummy-proof, all the cables were already connected except the power plug. Just set the antenna on it's little stand. Once it's plugged in the antenna wiggles around a bit for ideal signal and there it stays. Log into wifi and add a password (if you want) and you are surfing the web.The antenna points slightly north of vertical, contrary to geosynchronous/Clarke belt satellite services.
The Starlink system is working great with my own LAN gateway router now after some configuration issues, their service people are very helpful with any questions I have asked, no complaints at all.

Reactions: Dr.Dave

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have IPv6 turned off on my WAN connections. I'll ask them.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Just try connecting a WiFi device, such as notebook computer, tablet or phone directly to see what it gets. It would be really dumb if they rolled out a new service without IPv6.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So far:
"We are continuing our research and development towards providing customers with options for Static IP Addresses (IPv6) but we do not have an exact date for this yet!"

Guses that's an answer. I did have IPv6 enabled originally when trying to connect to the Starlink modem but it did not obtain an address. Since then I disbled IPv6 on my router WAN portsand connects fine with IPv4. I have not run into a local ISP that actually supports IPv6 here in Manitoba, but providers in the city like Shaw and Bell might, they don't cover our area so I have no experience with them.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I have not run into a local ISP that actually supports IPv6 here in Manitoba
What about Rogers or Telus? They both provide IPv6. Also, what Starlink provides shouldn't be dependent on local ISPs.

201 - 210 of 210 Posts