Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
That's how I read it as well. The government is subsidizing and leasing space from Telesat which will be launching its own satellites. The "partnership" is between the Canadian government and Telesat. What could go wrong there apart from taxpayers being on the hook for hundreds of millions more dollars in Telesat cost overruns and failures?

·
Super Moderator
17,524 Posts
Canadian prices: $820 for the Starlink dish, modem, power supply and 100 feet of cable. The subscription fee is $130 a month. (US. $499 upfront and $99 a month)

·
Registered
214 Posts
even at those prices its less then what I pay for xplornet a month for "25" Mbps down, which in reality is closet too 2 Mbps. Waiting patiently for my chance to jump to Starlink.

Reactions: NovaMan

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Got my invitation today! they only gave me 1 week to make up my mind about buying??
will have to think on it -also says only good at this location -not movable to cabin

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I am in MB -think I will hold off for this , as I have not bad internet here - for a decent price of 118.00 incl phone -however I think its the Future !!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'm in Manitoba too. Service here really sucks, like it takes a minute or so just to download this web page, and I pay more than Starlink pricing for a few Kb of bandwidth here. If I want better I have to pay more than $300/mo. This is insane.
I did sign up for Starlink a few months back when I heard they were looking for beta testers, even got the email with the sign-up info. Filled it out but didn't hear back from them (yet).
In that email they claimed about $800 for the package incl shipping, and $138/mo. Even at 50Mb/s that's well over 20X the bandwidth I get now so it "would" be a no-brainer... if I get access to it.
If I don't like it they would pay back 100% equipment cost (not sure if that included shipping or not back to Hawthorne CA.)
Seems like a great deal here if they decide to ship me a ground station!
Still waiting though.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Sighting in Newfoundland.

So far, it's just a few photos of SpaceX equipment installed at an Eastlink property in St. John's. That's been more than enough to stoke speculation that Elon Musk is bringing his Starlink broadband internet service to the Atlantic region.
A Starlink move into the Atlantic region makes sense because its aim is to primarily serve rural and remote communities where it is difficult to make a financial case for building the usual infrastructure.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
...where it is difficult to make a financial case for building the usual infrastructure.
I'm not disagreeing, and I'm happy to see remote locations receive decent internet service but there are locations in many cities and suburbs that are not served by the "usual infrastructure." Competition from companies like SpaceX will, hopefully, spur negligent companies to install decent infrastructure in order to keep a share of the market in those places.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Perhaps u/ExDilbert ‘s idea of “rural” differs from StarLink’s. I think in the case of the latter’s opinion, they might be thinking what ExDilbert might call “the middle of nowhere”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Starlink wouldn't have much of a business plan if they only planned on serving the middle of nowhere. There are not enough people there to make it profitable. While it would have issues serving a lot of people in very densely populated areas, Starlink will need quite a few people in small towns and farming communities as well as remote areas to be profitable. I would guess they could serve a small percentage of people living in large cites as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Update to my #192 post -I received another e mail from Starlink asking if I had reconsidered signing in to their offer and they gave me another 2 weeks to respond-but not willing to @ this time -perhaps next yr.😀

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well I finally got word from Starlink, had to change my address for shipping for Fedex so they could drop off the package in one of the nearest towns, even though the Fedex truck with his two or three trailers in tow drops off at our yard anyway. Funny that. Hopefully in a week or so I'll have a box to open, guess it's my late Christmas present from Hawthorn CA!

Reactions: Tridus
181 - 200 of 211 Posts