Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
@Becks. Due to my travels (born in Indonesian raised in Aussie, moved back to Indonesia, then to Canada, then Indonesia then back to Canada, I sold all my starwars stuff. All I have now is the never-opened, sealed StarWars monopoly, 12" figurine of C-3PO and my THX LBX faces LDs

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It is LaserDisc. The VHS letterbox facesTHX edition is identical to the LaserDisc version. The only difference is the picture and sound quality that's better on LaserDisc.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Now I Understand

I see now why you call it the Faces edition. That designation originally puzzled me. I copied my VHS Faces THX set onto three DVDs. The quality of course is not the greatest but at least I've got the original editions of EPs. IV-VI before Georgie fiddled with them. Personally I'm not as negative about the changes as some are. I like some of the CGI additions (better scenery, more spectacular explosions) but draw the line at editorial changes (scene with Jabba, Greedo shooting first, changes to the music, a different Anakin and Emperor).

Regardless I've had the BD on order at Amazon.ca since last winter. I plan a Star Wars marathon day with a couple of friends in Sept. Waiting for the set is very tough.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I like some of the CGI additions (better scenery, more spectacular explosions) but draw the line at editorial changes (scene with Jabba, Greedo shooting first, changes to the music, a different Anakin and Emperor).
Agreed!

And that's exactly where my beefs lay, with the "editorial changes".

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I also have the THX "Faces" edition on LD. Unfortunately, with today's HD equipment, Laserdiscs now look incredibly ugly when compared with OTA TV and Blu-Ray! (my LD player is a Pioneer CLD-97)

However, I still prefer the Laserdisc edition over the horrid butchering the original movies went through. Han Solo didn't just shoot first, he was the only one who shot anyone! Greedo just wouldn't shut up and never bothered to pull the trigger!

It's too bad we've pretty much lost any opportunity to see the original movies in HD. They were already beautifully shot and didn't need to be "modified", which is why I'll pass on this and any future edition of the original Star Wars trilogy.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
@ reidW, I custom ordered the pillow (leather with silk-screened logo and my name on it) from HomeTheatreX down in Australia when I went there to do some HT designs for their customers.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
It's too bad we've pretty much lost any opportunity to see the original movies in HD. They were already beautifully shot and didn't need to be "modified", which is why I'll pass on this and any future edition of the original Star Wars trilogy.
I too would like to see the original movies in HD, with one difference: George redid some scenes by improving the special effects without any editing or adding footage. Those should stay in because they improve the original image, but don't change the movies.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think im in the low minority but I actually like the changes made. I want to view the 6 films as they where intended to be seen. I still have the ot in the black case on vhs if I ever feel the need to see the unaltered ot.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I liked the new versions of the first 3 movies as well because it was neat to see where they added scenes--but I wouldn't mind seeing the originals in HD as well. George could put both versions on the blu-ray and that would make both camps happy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I too would like to see the original movies in HD, with one difference: George redid some scenes by improving the special effects without any editing or adding footage. Those should stay in because they improve the original image, but don't change the movies.
Now THAT I wouldn't have minded at all. Star Trek: The Motion Picture was pretty much treated that way in its restoration, with only one scene heavily modified to match the original concept which they couldn't create due to technological limitations.

My Star Wars discs do have one major flaw: visible matte effects. The worst offender is the asteroid field chase scene in the second movie. Even with a properly calibrated set, they're clearly visible and completely ruin a simply brilliant scene.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
I think Francois is referring to the scene where we see them walking out of the top of saucer on the Enterprise onto a path created by and leading to V'ger. It actually involves the use of digital avatars for Kirk, Spock etc. It was added in the special DVD Director's Edition. Bob Wise said in supplementary materials that this scene was in the original concept but couldn't be done in the late 70's.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
That's the one! And they didn't redo the scene in a way that it distracted from the purpose of the scene, unlike Lucas' shenanigans in the first Star Wars movie (the only Spec Ed I watched), most notably the Mos Eisley city entrance scene which included a newly added upward panning shot that when seen on a big screen in a theatre almost made me sick to my stomach!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Honestly I don't care its not that big of a deal to me anyway. Would I like them to be left as is sure but whatever. I just want the Blu-Ray already. The 16 can't come fast enough.

41 - 60 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.