Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
The real travesty here is the disparity between US and Canadian prices. The 6-movie set is $40 more expensive in Canada. Sure there will be discounts but with our dollar at or above the US dollar, that is ridiculous.
While I have no interest in this set as it won't contain the original originals, I agree that the price disparity is ridiculous, especially as the Canadian dollar is at or above par and is expected to remain that way for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In the early 80s as a kid I worshipped George Lucas. He was my hero. I wanted to BE him when I grew up (movie director, etc.).

Now.. I don't

The "special edition" of Ep IV A New Hope is such an abomination, where do I start.

- the Greedo shoots first scene is just wrong. Even if you ignore the politically correct issue, how does a seasoned bounty hunter completely miss sitting just a few feet from Han? The modified scene as it plays out just looks stupid.

- the re-added Jabba scene doesn't work. Sure it was filmed originally. But where it was inserted wrecks the natural flow of the movie. In the original version when Luke & Ben first enter Docking Bay 94, that is THE reveal of the Millenium Falcon (for them and us). "What a piece of junk...". With the Jabba scene, you already get a look at the Falcon, but with no fanfare.

- Also in the Jabba scene was the overly contrived addition of Boba Fett in the scene. If you've seen the original footage of the deleted scene with the stand in actor for Jabba, you know BF wasn't there. It was obvious it was a "oh oh... you know what else we could do? Let's add Boba Fett into this scene!! Wouldn't that be cool?!?!" :rolleyes:

- the unneccessary background CGI crap added at Mos Eisley.

I could go on and on... sigh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I will probably end up buying the set, but I wish they would give consumers the choice of purchasing the original or special editions of IV-VI. I find myself saying "Wait a minute, something's not right with this scene," when I see 'updated' scenes that don't match up with the way I remember the movie from my childhood.

I guess I'll have to hang onto my VHS copy of the original trilogy. :(

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Future Shop has pre-orders on now:

$99.99 for the complete set
$54.99 for each trilogy

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Actually, buy it from Amazon.ca right now. Amazon has a price guarantee, so if they lower it between when you order the set and it ships, you'll pay the lower price. Ordering it from them now means you'll get the best price they offer, and you don't have to keep checking the site and possibly miss out on a lower price.

I've often gotten emails from Amazon saying they've refunded me some money because they lowered the price after I ordered.

And for those of you complaining about Fox's pricing in Canada, this is ALWAYS an issue, and it's Fox Canada that sets the price. I once asked them to comment on the much higher price in Canada, and they absolutely wouldn't. Seems they know they're screwing us.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well its almost go time on this as we are under the 60 day mark. I can't believe its almost been a year since this set was first announced. I couldn't imagine waiting this long, and to top it all off there is a new Star Wars themed xbox coming out with larger hdd and cool color scheme. Since I have a weakness for all things star wars I hope I can hold off and not buy it.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'm still contemplating whether I'm going to buy this boxset.

I used to own the Beta Hi-Fi version, LD version, Letterbox LD version, Letterbox remastered LD version, Letterbox THX LD version, DVD version,... it feels like I'm entitled to get the BD version just by exchaning all my starwars collections in multiple versions to Fox.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
This quote seems suitable

Sheldon Cooper: I'm sorry, but I'm not going to watch the Clone Wars TV series until I've seen the Clone Wars movie. I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I'm still contemplating whether I'm going to buy this boxset.

I used to own the Beta Hi-Fi version, LD version, Letterbox LD version, Letterbox remastered LD version, Letterbox THX LD version, DVD version,... it feels like I'm entitled to get the BD version just by exchaning all my starwars collections in multiple versions to Fox.
Which was the best version?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I like the THX "faces" edition the best. This is post-cleaning but pre-tweaking edition.

The DVD, albeit in 5.1, the orchestral soundtrack, due to the lossy compression, sound like crud (not to mention everything have been "tweaked" such Greedo shoots first, changing the ending scene of Return of the Jedi, etc).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hopefully, we will soon be able to purchase the Star Wars Christmas Special on Blu Ray!:p

That film (for lack of a better term) was the actual introduction of the Boba Fett character. He was in the cartoon featurette at the beginning.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Haha! I forgot I used to have that show on tape. It was so bad even I taped over it with The Muppet Show.

Ahhhh to be young again... playing with my AT-AT, Millennium Falcon, X-wing Fighter, SLAVE-1, Taun-taun and literally all original (first release) Star Wars trilogy action figures. I even used to have the Death Star toy set.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
^Did you get rid of everything?

I had probably 90% of all the first gen toys (with boxes) but came back home from summer holiday's one year and my mom had decided to sell all my "junk" that was taking up room in the attic which included all my Star Wars as well as other collections I had :(

21 - 40 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.