Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Now I Understand

I see now why you call it the Faces edition. That designation originally puzzled me. I copied my VHS Faces THX set onto three DVDs. The quality of course is not the greatest but at least I've got the original editions of EPs. IV-VI before Georgie fiddled with them. Personally I'm not as negative about the changes as some are. I like some of the CGI additions (better scenery, more spectacular explosions) but draw the line at editorial changes (scene with Jabba, Greedo shooting first, changes to the music, a different Anakin and Emperor).

Regardless I've had the BD on order at Amazon.ca since last winter. I plan a Star Wars marathon day with a couple of friends in Sept. Waiting for the set is very tough.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I think Francois is referring to the scene where we see them walking out of the top of saucer on the Enterprise onto a path created by and leading to V'ger. It actually involves the use of digital avatars for Kirk, Spock etc. It was added in the special DVD Director's Edition. Bob Wise said in supplementary materials that this scene was in the original concept but couldn't be done in the late 70's.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
You Are Not Hurting Lucas

... Amazon.ca has it for $79.99. I paid Indigo $99. 20 bucks in my pocket is $20 bucks less in Lucas's.
How do you figure that? Chapters and Amazon set their prices on their own. I'm sure that the amount paid to Lucas probably doesn't change much regardless of what Indigo/Amazon/Future Shop charges.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I object strongly when another party alters a movie they didn't produce/direct/write personally (i.e. Dune). But I see nothing wrong if someone like Lucas/Spielberg decides to change one of their own films. It's their creation and therefore their right to do so. Filmmakers are allowed to change their minds about what's good/bad/right in their pictures over time.

In any case there are still two unresolved scenes I'd like to see George Lucas "clean up" (explain):

1. In Ep. IV why doesn't Obi-Wan show any recognition of the two droids when he rescues them along with Luke from the sand people? He practically lived with them in the prequels. Yet he shows no signs of ever having known them.
2. In Ep VI, the final defeat of Emperor Palpatine is just a little too easy. Just pick him up and throw him down a power conduit? With his powers he should have been able to levitate himself to safety. We've seen his powers at their mightiest in Ep. III and they were awesome. His end has always been a weak point of the saga to me.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Future Shop

The flyers for next week at FS are now out here in PEI. Here's the scoop for those who haven't heard:

1. Complete Saga (6 movies, extras) $79.99
2. Original Trilogy (EP IV-VI) $44.99
3. Prequel Trilogy (EP I - III) $44.99

IOW, buying the two trilogies separately will cost you MORE than buying the complete set and you'll still end up with less product for your money.

Also if you trade in two games you can get the Complete Saga for free.

Note that the price on the Complete Saga is for Sept. 16 - 18 only. It jumps to $89.99 on Sept. 19.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.