Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I guess this shows that there are all sorts of people out there. Personally, I felt that Nemesis was a low point for Star Trek and while I hated the excessive lens flare, I quite liked the two recent movies.

On the topic of distribution, I think it would make sense for CBS to expand All Access internationally. They own the content, so it makes perfect sense for them to go direct to the consumer. I firmly believe that the future will minimize the number of middle men between the content owner and the consumer, we're just not there yet.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The producers/show-runners were involved in the reboot franchise, and I'd read somewhere that the TV series will follow the alternate timeline established in the first reboot film.
I wouldn't be surprised if it does. But where did you read this?

I have a feeling that the new reboot will air on Space and CraveTV.
Bumped into someone from Space yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if it does land there (though if I was CTV, I'd be tempted to put it on CTV or CTV2) but for now they are reading about this in the news, like the rest of us. Too soon to tell.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why does it need to be a "Reboot"? Why not make the series take place in the year 3000 or 4000 instead of always being with in 100 years, why not 2,000 years or 3,000 years in the future ahead?
Because the EP and the studio have no creative vision whatsoever. It's the same reason that Stargate is being rebooted as a movie trilogy.

There hasn't been any confirmation yet on whether the new series will be in the original timeline or the rebooted one. People are just assuming it'll be the rebooted one, because the executive producer (Kurtzman) was a co-writer of the 2009 and 2013 Trek movies. In the meantime, Moonves has said that additional announcements about Star Trek — both behind and in front of the camera — would be coming soon.

While I'm happy Star Trek is finally returning to television, it certainly took CBS long enough to do it. By the way, it looks like Spiner was right when he said a while back that an agreement was put into place to prevent a TV series from occurring until after the trilogy of reboot movies. Best case scenario is they return to the original universe timeline and compose a good original opening theme song worthy of a Trek series (it's still sad that both Jerry and Joel Goldsmith are dead now -- at least they knew how to create good theme songs). Worst case scenario is that it's part of the rebooted timeline with the massive lens flares, super-fast-camera-movements, sex-infused, explosions-every-minute style that has been part of the Abrams movie franchise. Oh, and a 5-second opening intro just showing the title name of the show, instead of an actual theme song.

Say what you will about the problems that Nemesis and Enterprise had, but at least when Berman and Braga were running the series, they knew what they were doing as far as the camera movements and storylines were concerned. There was a certain... production consistency... for lack of a better phrase, between TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, that's clearly absent from the 2009 and 2013 films, and that's what I miss from the previous series. If the new series is just going to be the continuing 5-year adventures of the rebooted Kirk and co. timeline that started in the movies, except now on an episodic basis, then a lot of people (including myself) will be irrevocably ticked off.

And as far as airing the new series in Canada, if you remember, back in the day, Enterprise used to air first on City, and then the episode subsequently repeated on Sunday night on Space. So I'm sure one of those two networks would pick this one up.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
And as far as airing the new series in Canada, if you remember, back in the day, Enterprise used to air first on City, and then the episode subsequently repeated on Sunday night on Space. So I'm sure one of those two networks would pick this one up.
Back then, City and Space had the same owners (and same offices). Now City is owned by Rogers and Space is owned by CTV.

Though I wouldn't be surprised to see either pick it up for either cable or terrestrial broadcast.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
I see 3 things 'possibly' happening in Canada in regards to this series:

1)Rogers/Shaw will pick it up, but it will only be available on Showmi. The first episode will be on City, the following Episodes will be on Showmi

2) BCE Media will pick it up and do the same except the first Episode will be on CTV, the rest will be on Crave TV(as by that time Crave TV will be available to everyone)

3)Netflex Canada will pick up the series and will show it on their streaming service.

This way your "Forced" to pay extra to see the series.In any case I see it landing on some streaming service in Canada. The only thing is I'm not sure if you can access this CBS streaming service in Canada or not?

·
Registered
832 Posts
TechTV now reports that the next Star Trek is due to debute in January 2017 simultaneously on CBS network TV as well as online (through All-Access)

So at least we get to watch (some of) it on TV on its first run. No online-exclusive scare!

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Why does it need to be a "Reboot"? Why not make the series take place in the year 3000 or 4000 instead of always being with in 100 years, why not 2,000 years or 3,000 years in the future ahead?
Compare 20th century BC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century_BC to today. Do you have any idea what's it going to be like in 40th century AD, especially with the rapid growth in knowledge we are experiencing? Doubt it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
TechTV now reports that the next Star Trek is due to debute in January 2017 simultaneously on CBS network TV as well as online (through All-Access)

So at least we get to watch (some of) it on TV on its first run. No online-exclusive scare!
The original press release had said the premiere episode would air on CBS TV. All other episodes will be online-only in the US. I don't think anything has changed there.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I see 3 things 'possibly' happening in Canada in regards to this series:

1)Rogers/Shaw will pick it up, but it will only be available on Showmi. The first episode will be on City, the following Episodes will be on Showmi

2) BCE Media will pick it up and do the same except the first Episode will be on CTV, the rest will be on Crave TV(as by that time Crave TV will be available to everyone)

3)Netflex Canada will pick up the series and will show it on their streaming service.

This way your "Forced" to pay extra to see the series.In any case I see it landing on some streaming service in Canada. The only thing is I'm not sure if you can access this CBS streaming service in Canada or not?
What leads you to think that it would only be streamed in Canada?

We are seeing other streamed series in the US showing up on terrestrial channels here, and cable channels. Why do you think a streaming service is going to outbid a terrestrial channel?

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
No, what I'm saying at some point Canada is going to follow the US streaming services at some point where content will only be available on streaming service(as to when I can't say exactly). remember you have to pay to receive Shomi,Crave TV or Netflex. In the case of Bell or Shaw/Rogers that's extra revenue if they only have it on their streaming service. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, only a possibility. The thing is if as an example Bell or Shaw/Rogers wins the bid, since they both have streaming services they win, because you'll need to pay extra to see it if its on Shomi or Crave TV with having TV service.

Why do think CBS is doing it? If they put it on their regular CBS network those with OTA will get for free,if you put it on a streaming service you'll need to pay for it regardless if you have only OTA,IPTV,Cable or Sat, you'll need to pay CBS'S streaming service to watch, hence extra revenue for CBS or perhaps in this case Bell/Shaw//Rogers or Netflix or some other provider?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
CBS is using it to try and build their streaming service, knowing that they can later recoup a lot of costs through direct sales.

However, as CBS would still control direct sales in the Canadian market, they'd be looking at maximizing revenue from Canada, and I very much doubt that any of the current streaming services, would be making the highest bid - other than perhaps as part of a bid like Rogers airing it initially on their Shomi service and a few weeks later on their City or Omni services.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
@NeilN

NO? But the can guess? Did they know what the future held in 1967-9 in the original series? They can guess or make up things like they did in STNG?
Guessing is why they've limited it to two hundred years out (as they did in the original series). You can extrapolate current trends into something relatable if you limit your timeframe. Three or four thousand years out is a meaningless number.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Considering they currently has the CBS deal for the whole Star Trek collection, it wouldn't be surprising to see the new show turn up on a Bell Media property, be it Crave and/or Space and/or CTV.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on Space. I also wouldn't be surprised if it also ended up on the streaming service of whichever company (sorry I can't remember) that owns Space.

It might be CBS's decision to stream only in the US, but outside of the US they'll be trying to maximize profits which would probably be maximized by selling TV and Streaming rights.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Well, no. Profits would be maximized by going direct to the consumer. Middle men will always require a cut in order to survive.

The difference between the future and the past is that content owners/creators can get to their viewers without the need of some proprietary TV network.

So, whether they (content creators) charge a subscription fee or show advertising, have iTunes style "buy the episode/season" system, or some combination of the above, the path to maximum profit is to remove middle men.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm hoping for a Captain Pike series. There are about 11 years or so between Captain Pike and Captain Kirk that have mostly gone unexplored. The original pilot "The Cage" could be redone to start the series or they could just pick up right where it left off with a wink to it.

The advantage is that the series could return to the original Enterprise and include Spock (perhaps Zachary Quinto would play him or it could simply be recast). The whole alternate timeline situation would be avoided as that timeline did not branch off until Kirk in the new movies. A strong female character could also be included as Captain Pike had a female first officer in The Cage (who was played by Mrs. Roddenberry).

They could use the style of the new movies that way or the original set of series or a mix of both.

Just my thoughts. I would also be happy to see something after Voyager, and Star Trek Online had some interesting ideas for that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A series starting right after voyager would be ideal. There is still so much to explore in that time line, not sure why they would abandon it.

The problem with a series based in 3000 years is that they were already extremely technologically advanced in the 2300s, and making them even more advanced would just ruin too many story opportunities. I liked TNG better than Voyager because in Voyager too often they would just solve their problems by firing an inverted tachyon pulse or something.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts