Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Star Trek New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line. I was a big Star Trek fan as a kid when ST:TNG was running. This was especially true for The Best of Both Worlds between seasons 3 and 4. I must confess that I'm really excited about the prospect of more Star Trek on TV. I hope they don't screw it up.

I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour. Presumably this was because TV episodes were designed so that new viewers could jump in at any time without confusion. But with modern streaming solutions to deliver TV in-order and on demand, I think that that long story arcs makes for better story telling.

·
Super Moderator
17,247 Posts
I saw the press release earlier. Only the first episode will be broadcast on CBS.
CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new “Star Trek” television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.
It will be interesting to see how it's distributed in Canada, possibly on a specialty channel or a streaming service.
CBS Studios International to Distribute the Series Globally For Television and Multiple Platforms

·
Registered
35 Posts
It will be interesting to see how it's distributed in Canada, possibly on a specialty channel or a streaming service.
I could see Crave or Shomi snatching up the rights for distribution in Canada.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Seems likely to bomb, honestly. I'm not sure Star Trek is big enough anymore to get the kind of number of subscribers CBS would need. Too bad, would have been a great offering for Netflix or something.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure Star Trek is big enough anymore to get the kind of number of subscribers CBS would need.
I don't know, Star Trek Into Darkness brought in ~$467 million in worldwide box office sales (citation), which is pretty good. Much better than what many of the previous TNG-based movies brought in - and TNG was a very successful TV series by most measures.

If there is any connection between success on TV and success on the "big screen", I'd say that Star Trek should do very well on TV.

I think there are a lot of Sci-Fi fans out there, and they're relatively under-served. The real question is: can Star Trek be profitable on TV. If they can keep their production budget under control, I think they certainly can make a good business case. Plus, modern Sci-Fi has a cost advantage; it costs much less to do special effects compared to the 10+ years ago, and that type of show tends to need more special effects than your average TV program.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
If there is any connection between success on TV and success on the "big screen", I'd say that Star Trek should do very well on TV.
I'm not concerned about it, if it's on TV. But they're saying it'll be on a CBS specific subscription streaming service, and that's a whole other ball of wax.

If they're also airing it on TV, it has a better chance, for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Those one hour shows when Kirk spoke could actually be 35 minutes long if you speed up his speeches. :eek:

Reactions: eljay

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Apparently it will be based on the "reboot" time line.
What's the basis for that observation? The stuff I've seen haven't indicated one way or another.

I'm also hoping that we get long story arcs. In the past Star Trek tended to stick with story lines that "put things back where they found them" at the end of the hour.
I agree, though Deep Space Nine was better at having character development and story arcs.

Hard to say where it will land in Canada. There's already series that air on streaming services in the US, that are on regular channels in Canada. For example, the current season of The Mindy Project, which airs on Hulu in the USA, and a few weeks later on City TV in Canada (Sundays at 8 pm).

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
What's the basis for that observation? The stuff I've seen haven't indicated one way or another.
The producers/show-runners were involved in the reboot franchise, and I'd read somewhere that the TV series will follow the alternate timeline established in the first reboot film.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nfitz said:
You know, now that I go searching for the article that implied that, I can't seem to find it again.

CBS doesn't seem to have published an official position on that; but we do know that Alex Kurtzman is responsible for the new series and he co-wrote and produced the bits of Star Trek (2009, 2013 movies) which created the new time line. If he felt the need to shed the burden of all the old school "canon" material to start fresh for the movies, I doubt he would want to re-attach himself to it for the new TV series.

So, I can see why people would have drawn that conclusion.

That said, you're right - which time line this new story will be set has not been officially communicated.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Wouldn't it be something if the new show was not available in Canada AT ALL (legally). What if CBS fears that people might bypass geoblocking on a Canadian provider to watch it instead of subscribing to their service.

I am not saying it is likely, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Why does it need to be a "Reboot"? Why not make the series take place in the year 3000 or 4000 instead of always being with in 100 years, why not 2,000 years or 3,000 years in the future ahead?

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had thought that the next ST project was called REBELLION bringing back characters such as Tuvok but having read about the new ST reboot-series doesn't appeal to me at all.

History shows that beyond Voyager, these newer series (such as Enterprise) with extremely busy screens and soapy characters just don't cut it.

I was and still am an extreme Star Trek fan of the 80s and 90s flavor who was never able to watch an entire movie beyond Nemesis.

Anyhow, that CBS online-exclusive series will certainly have a budget set accordingly and will be, by the time it airs, available EVERYWHERE for the picking! I'll certainly take a look at it.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts