Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CRTC today approved an application by Star Choice that would allow the company to offer its customers either XM or Sirius satellite radio.

In only a decision a government bureaucrat could understand the CRTC noted that the addition of the subscription satellite radio service (SSR) would not have any material impact on Star Choice's high definition roll-out plans.

The approval was not surprising since the feds have approved similar applications by Rogers Cable and by Bell ExpressVu.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wonder how much extra this will cost, or would they remove MaxTrax/Galaxie to free up the space. I would prefer XM or Sirius as I listen to Ch911 often and get tired of the same songs every day.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is interesting

I work at home most of the day long and have a receiver beside my computer just to listen to audio/radio from SC

·
Registered
173 Posts
Portable use?

Will this be tied to the receiver or are they brokering the standard service? Would be nice to have one of these in my car...

·
Registered
483 Posts
as I listen to Ch911 often and get tired of the same songs every day.
Don't get too excited; I've been listening to Sirius for three years or so, and the repetition in the playlists of all the channels I frequent is numbing. Example: the Sixties channel. I promise that every single hour of every day you will hear The Supremes, as well as hearing the same songs repeated. So it's a double-whammy: narrow focus on songs, narrow focus on artists.

Then there's the Jam channel: it's as if their programmer never heard of anybody but Phish and The Grateful Dead.

You know how your local radio stations will "discover" something they haven't played in a while, and then play it to death? Same thing on satellite radio. Do I sound bitter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
24 Hour Neil Young station! I'll second that!

I had XM for awhile and I heard quite a bit of Neil on different stations. And believe it or not, they played more than Rockin in the Free World. They actually played different (and new) Neil. How refreshing.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I promise that every single hour of every day you will hear The Supremes, as well as hearing the same songs repeated. So it's a double-whammy: narrow focus on songs, narrow focus on artists.
That is much more true with Sirius. XM has a much deeper playlist so if you listen to a decade type channel a lot you will be considerably happier with XM

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good to know, Hugh, though too late for me, having invested in Sirius stuff already. Perhaps we will get the best of both when/if they merge... they are still talking about that, right?

·
Registered
175 Posts
STARRATS

Always makes me happy to hear from another Neil listener.

He has so much undiscovered GREAT music it is unbelieveable!!!!!

Take it easy

Steph

1 - 12 of 12 Posts