Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a home theater system with amps, processor, bluray player, etc. I just purchased a Belkin power console, pf60. This console has a feature to have equipment always on, or switched , with or without delay on start up. Do you shorten the life of your equipment by a complete power up and down or is it best to leave them all in stand by. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
It totally depends on the equipment in question:

DVD, BD player, cassette tape player - OK to have off - some will take a bit longer to boot if you usually enable the "quick start" option in the user menu.
AVR - possibly OK, but most new ones draw little power in standby.
Devices with clocks like VCRs will forget the time.
PVR - OK to turn off if you don't wish to record when off, but it will take time to boot and populate the IPG - usually recommend to leave on. Time is not "forgotten" since it comes from the service provider.
TV - most new TVs draw little energy when off and may benefit from a bit of electricity flowing through them so that they are not "shocked" by a "cold start" - some have the option to select "quick start" or "energy saver" from the user menu - the quick start option, similar to BD players will keep a bit of electricity going through them so they are "warm" and ready for restart - they may draw 10-20W in this mode. If there is an energy saver mode, it may draw 1W when in standby. Most TVs will forget the time, but should remember all other settings (picture modes, etc) if turned off totally by a power bar/UPS.

As you can see, other than BD/DVD players, most electronic equipment is best left in standby. If the equipment is not harmed by using very little electricity, then the power draw in standby for new equipment is usually very low - 1 Watt or so. Some (mostly older design) equipment may have more power draw 10-20W in standby, but may still benefit from being left in standby.

Suggest you get a Watt meter - check out the following thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35430

·
Registered
815 Posts
AVR - possibly OK, but most new ones draw little power in standby.
I just leave my receiver on all the time -- does that hurt it? I'm assuming it doesn't draw too much power if there is no source. EDIT: just saw from your linked post that having the receiver on does significantly increase the power draw (which might be a consideration for me if I didn't live in an apartment and had to pay for power).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
As 57 said, it's probably best to leave most devices on standby. PVRs/DVRs and HTPCs should always have power available. The two exceptions I make are devices that have high power draw on standby or those that are rarely used. It's also a good idea to turn all devices off during electrical storms or power interruptions.

Another exception may be if a power saving option is available on the power center. For example, if the A/V receiver is always used, it can be beneficial to automatically switch the BD player, TV and similar devices off when the A/V receiver is turned off. Just be sure that the end result does not use more energy (due to unused devices being full on when power is restored) or cause unwanted side effects.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I just leave my receiver on all the time -- does that hurt it?
That has been debated for years. Leaving it on generates heat which can accelerate aging of devices, such as capacitors. It also wastes energy. The other argument is that power cycling and heating/cooling can shorten the life of components. Both are true to some extent. I don't think either can be predicted with any accuracy by the layman and manufacturers typically don't provide the information. I try to avoid frequent power cycling but put the AVR on standby when it is not going to be used for several hours, such as overnight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
<snip>...which might be a consideration for me if I didn't live in an apartment and had to pay for power.
I don't understand that logic. What does it matter who is paying for the electricity. Would you leave your water running if you didn't pay for it? ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
TV - most new TVs draw little energy when off and may benefit from a bit of electricity flowing through them so that they are not "shocked" by a "cold start" - some have the option to select "quick start" or "energy saver" from the user menu - the quick start option, similar to BD players will keep a bit of electricity going through them so they are "warm" and ready for restart - they may draw 10-20W in this mode. If there is an energy saver mode, it may draw 1W when in standby.
Does anybody have some detail on this with respect to TV longevity?

I have a relatively new LED LCD that I'd love to keep in great shape for years to come. Currently it is set to "energy saver" mode and takes approx 8-10 seconds for the picture to come on when it is turned off, and hence my Logitech Harmony needs to be pointed at the TV that long, etc. A bit of a PITA already. But I'll do whatever is best long-term.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
WarrenC12 I suggest you check the power draw if you don't have it set to "energy saver" to see the difference. If you don't mind spending say $10-20/year to have it set to "keep warm", then I would recommend that. See post 6 by ScaryBob.

Why does the Harmony need to be pointed at the TV that long? Does the input not change appropriately right away or something? I don't believe I've encountered an issue before with TVs and the Harmony.

·
Registered
253 Posts
The TV doesn't seem to recognize commands to change the video input until the TV is fully on. I had to put a 10 second delay into that command for the various activities "watch TV, watch movie", etc.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I keep my amp and pre-amp on all the time. I turn on my music disc player at least an hour or longer before listening if possible.

I would leave the disc player on all the time but the manufacturer told me that the display is probably the first thing that would go in a damaging power surge and the display alone would cost many hundreds of $$$ to replace.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I'm not particularly concerned leaving on or turning off (standby) anymore.

I can understand the care, and pride most of us take in the audio systems we build (and fortunate enough to afford) ... for me ..I'm not fretting over my system to the extent I once did.

certainly ..(and thank you Khorn) .. we should be aware of some (possible) consequences as a result of power surges ..etc. Me too, I generally leave my CDP on .. hmm, think i will have another look at that. We all want to do what we can (best practise) to prevent possible needless damage, and expense to these systems. (less to contribute toward more gear !)

I have power conditioning, protection. I'm not aware what's inside this Monster Power system I bought on boxing week sale. I know there's better out there.

I do however, prior to travel, unplug everything. not sure what i am accomplishing .. i think just a habit. (my grandfather would unplug everything ..!! when not in use) ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts