Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question – I have my receiver with HDMI cable to my TV. Whenever I try to watch standard TV (channel 561 – food network) for example I get the picture for about 2-3 mins and then it disappears and all I get is ‘snow’ and sound.. I don’t recall this happening in the past or has something changed in the system that I don’t know. What might be wrong.? but I don’t recall this in the past. If I use component cables on another input I can watch fine just the picture is not a clear and crisp. I have a HDDSR505 receiver.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Thanks. Yes MY HD channels are coming in fine thru HDMI.

So I should be able to see regular channles thru HDMI..right? just wnat to make sure I'm not going nuts.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Cashisking,

Your TV may be having a challenge with standard definition (480i or 480p) signals via HDMI.

Try this:

1) Set the Output Format to 1080. Press the RED button on the front right of the receiver (under the Star Choice panel) until it says 1080 on the front panel display.
2) Turn off the 4x3 Override. Press OPTIONS 6-4-5 and ensure "4x3 Override" is set to "Off". Save the settings.

This will ensure SD channels are output in an HD resolution (1080i). You can use the ASPECT button on your remote (if equipped) to stretch the picture if desired.

·
Registered
669 Posts
CashIsKing....Your 505 receiver outputs DVI & Component signals....not HDMI

....We couldn't get a decent DVI to HDMI connection to our Samsung HDTV

....Since we upgraded to a 605 receiver....no problems with HDMI connection

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sounds like an DVI/HDMI handshaking problem. This has been discussed elsewhere, such as here. Check sections 21 and 23, in particular. There can be a number of reasons for lost HDMI communication. The most common is poor implementation on some early interfaces, such as DVI and early HDMI revisions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts