Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I bought my used Dell Latitude E6420 laptop it had 4 GB RAM, a 250 GB HD and Win 10 installed. I had it upgraded to 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD and Win 7 before taking delivery. 8 GB RAM is the max this machine can have and I figured 8 GB with Win 7 would be faster than 4 GB with Win 10, more of a resource hog, which I hate anyway. As I mentioned earlier, before it got dropped, the laptop took half an hour to fully boot with a 2/3 full HD. Now with a SSD it takes less than 5 minutes. Today the 1 TB SSD cost about 40% more than the HD did 5 years ago, not allowing for inflation, so a great upgrade. In fact, the computer store I deal with don't even keep mechanical drives in stock.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
That hard drive must have been seriously fragmented. I was given a laptop with 256MB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive running Vista. It didn't take 5 minutes to boot before or after I put a clean installation of Win7 on it but it was seriously slow due to paging. I've been using SSDs for boot drives for over 10 years now. They're much improved since then and about 1/10 the price per GB. One of those original drives is still in use in a Linux system.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What kind of sounds are you supposed to hear when a laptop with a SSD is booting? I'm familiar with hard drives and thought a SSD would be silent, just like any other solid state memory device, like an SD card. But I hear sounds, and not just the fan. What else am I hearing? Have a listen.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Can't definitely tell what it is but it is very faint. I'd guess that its an optical drive as they often make some noise due to being accessed when the PC is booting, even when there is no disc in the drive. Power supplies and other components with coils or transformers can make some noise, especially those with high power consumption. That's usually more of a buzzing sound though. I doubt it is the SSD itself.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Piezoelectric Effect is an interesting source of noise. Cheap headphones, microphones and speakers sometimes use piezoelectric components due to their low cost. I've seen them used in telephones and earpieces.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts