Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
When I bought my used Dell Latitude E6420 laptop it had 4 GB RAM, a 250 GB HD and Win 10 installed. I had it upgraded to 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD and Win 7 before taking delivery. 8 GB RAM is the max this machine can have and I figured 8 GB with Win 7 would be faster than 4 GB with Win 10, more of a resource hog, which I hate anyway. As I mentioned earlier, before it got dropped, the laptop took half an hour to fully boot with a 2/3 full HD. Now with a SSD it takes less than 5 minutes. Today the 1 TB SSD cost about 40% more than the HD did 5 years ago, not allowing for inflation, so a great upgrade. In fact, the computer store I deal with don't even keep mechanical drives in stock.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
That hard drive must have been seriously fragmented. I was given a laptop with 256MB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive running Vista. It didn't take 5 minutes to boot before or after I put a clean installation of Win7 on it but it was seriously slow due to paging. I've been using SSDs for boot drives for over 10 years now. They're much improved since then and about 1/10 the price per GB. One of those original drives is still in use in a Linux system.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts