Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone notice when Radio-Canada (CBC French) carries a live sporting event, that they shrink the image size? I have a 16X9 TV that generally will stretch the picture automatically to full screen size. However, SRC has a black frame around the entire picture. What it seems is that it is an HD picture that is downconverted to another size. This screen size is not 4X3, but larger. Anyone know why this is?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
Broadcaster's choice, I would say. What you describe happens for all of Radio-Canada's wide-screen programming.
(It also happens for their analog over-the-air television broadcasts, too.)
I actually like it because you can zoom (instead of stretch) to fill a 16:9 screen. If you've got Shaw digital cable, it won't look half bad. If you've got analog cable, zooming might make the image a little muddy; whether you like it depends on personal preference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I thought SRC exclusively aired all programming in a 16:9 ratio. In SD it gets letterboxed. Too bad that Shaw doesn't offer SRC in HD.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
That could be. There are so few 4:3 programs on that channel regularly (and I'm not home all the time) that I haven't really noticed it either on Shaw or elsewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts