Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my TOUCH now for a little over a month. A few impressions:

Likes/Loves:

Sound quality is top notch. I am running it through coax digital audio out to a Beresford Caiman DAC, then RCA out to a Cambridge AZUR 640A v2 integrated amp. Royd Minstrel speakers. Modest system by many standards here, but the sound is as good as it ha ever been with any source. I am sourcing my music on an HP Mediasmart Server and the TOUCH is connected to my network via ethernet. I was formerly using a ROKU Soundbridge (M1000 and M2000 versions), so this will be my comparison benchmark.

I have not bothered with using the RCA outs to the amp so I can't comment on sound differences between it's internal DAC vs the Beresford.

My CD library is ripped to Apple Lossless and I also have a separate folder of hi-rez (24 bit, 88.2 and 96 khz) FLAC files. All play flawlessly and sound great. Very open and revealing, especially the jazz and classical pieces.

I purchased iPeng and use it on my iPhone and it is very convenient for picking music to play, although there are some hiccups. I will describe below.

Challenges:

Menu is polluted a bit. Using the TOUCH sourced by the HP MSS< the folder menu can be a challenge to navigate. This might be because the music in in the MSS' music folder, but there are also some subfolders which confuse the issue.

For some reason, when searching by artist, it includes EVERY fricking band member name when you are scrolling through the menu. So U2 shows up with Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen, etc. Probably quadruples the number of listings in the menu. I simply want the primary artist/band name that I put in the iTunes info box.

You have to scroll through every listing to get to an artist or album. In the ROKU menu, you could pick the first letter and drill down from there. Much faster than scrolling thru the A's, B's, C's and D's etc to get to U2. Or Van Morrison, worse yet.

Playlists have been a royal PIA. With the Roku, I simply exported the playlists from iTunes into a PLAYLIST folder on the MSS and the ROKU happily went to work. With the TOUCH, every playlist shows up empty. I have tried editing them in a text editor to alter drive pathways, change slash directions, change folder location, all to no avail. Nothing works and all playlists are empty. This is causing me to tear my hair out and frankly is really reducing the usability of this unit for me. Posting questions in the Squeezebox and Squeezecenter forums elicits zero reply, and frankly is useless to me.

The screen is not visible to my eye from any distance over 5'. The ROKU, especially the M2000, while a simple interface, was light years easier to see and much easier to navigate from my viewing chair. The menu system was simpler and I could use it with just the MSS running and didn't need the computer on, which is what I wanted. The TOUCH software for the MSS is fine, but as I said, the menu and searching is problematic.

iPeng: full featured, but it seems to want to put every song in a playlist before it will play. Just clicking on the first song in an album plays that song, but nothing else. Really a headache to get working. The ROKUMOTE app written for the Roku by a guy out there works well and is very simple to operate. Points to the ROKU again here.

Honestly, my family was happy with the ROKU, however I wanted the ability to play hi-res files, which the ROKU won't do. My wife was happy navigating artists and playlists. The TOUCH has been a no go. Can't find what she wants, scrolling forever, hard to see the menu, etc. Of course, hi rez fies are lost on her.

So the plusses:

Sound quality on hi-rez files

The minuses:

Navigation
Visibility
Playlist management
Playing albums easily.

I'll add more as I go through this process....

As I have gone forward, I will be re-connecting the ROKU for playlist content, but for FLAC hi-res playback, I'll use the Touch. Some of the hi-res stuff is really stunning. I am keen to buy the McCartney and Wings "Band on the Run" in uncompressed format to see how it compares to the original CD I have.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thanks Dan.

I'm a big Squeezebox fan and compared friends' Roku and Sonos equipment before buying.

With a Duet and four BOOMs, I've been thinking about a Touch since it launched, but never quite found the right scenario for it.

I suppose it could replace my Duet, but then again with a wi-fi remote and the Android SqueezeCommander app, other than admiring the display, I don't have the inclination to walk over to change what's playing.

For me, the biggest attraction on these systems is whole-home audio, synchronized (or not, as desired) across zones. For parties it's wonderful to have the same music seamlessly playing in the Living/Dining rooms, Kitchen and even out by the pool.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
dufferdan, thanks for your review. Always nice when members give back to the forum.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
apn, you can use iPeng on an iPod Touch or iPhone, or iPad to control the SB Touch easily. I also believe you can sync whole house audio as well. That may have to be done via the web interface though, I am not sure.

Hugh, most welcome.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sure, but I prefer SqueezeCommander on my Nexus One over anything from the fruit company (I personally don't own such devices, but we have a couple of those dastardly iPod thingies in the house).

From what I've seen, SC does everything in iPeng and then some. The developers (both in Germany) have agreed not to encroach on each others turf but will collaborate to maintain a semblance of parity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Squeezebox

I own a couple older Squeezeboxes, a v2 and a v3. Best things about Squeezebox outside the fact they sound amazing is the back end software and the fact its open source and add-ons/plugins can be built to do just about anything.

One I use is Superdatetime - date, time, current weather and forecast, and most important hockey scores (football, baseball, and basketball also available) all scrolling across the screen.

For people new to the unit the old forums at http://foums.slimdevices.com should be a big help. That community is mature and full of programmers, guys who beta tested hardware, and many who can help make the experience better. For example the ripping and tagging section should help you fix your tags so your files are easier to search. There are also many there who can help you with ripping from high bit-rate sources as well.

apn is dead right too about then being great for parties, no one can figure out how to change the music so they leave it alone. I take mine over to the neighbors when we play poker and nobody ever has to get up to change the music.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I own a couple older Squeezeboxes, a v2 and a v3. Best things about Squeezebox outside the fact they sound amazing is the back end software and the fact its open source and add-ons/plugins can be built to do just about anything.

One I use is Superdatetime - date, time, current weather and forecast, and most important hockey scores (football, baseball, and basketball also available) all scrolling across the screen.

For people new to the unit the old forums at http://foums.slimdevices.com should be a big help. That community is mature and full of programmers, guys who beta tested hardware, and many who can help make the experience better. For example the ripping and tagging section should help you fix your tags so your files are easier to search. There are also many there who can help you with ripping from high bit-rate sources as well.

apn is dead right too about then being great for parties, no one can figure out how to change the music so they leave it alone. I take mine over to the neighbors when we play poker and nobody ever has to get up to change the music.
The slimdevices forums have been zero help in alleviating my playlist issues. I will look into the tagging forum.

I agree, though, that sound quality is top notch.

For ripping, I use iTunes with soundcheck on, and have had zero issues so far. For converting FLAC to other formats, I have used XLD with full success.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It's Black Friday and I've confirmed that a Touch will be in my Christmas stocking this year, can't wait...

I'm looking forward to checking out the 24/96 capability not present on my other SB's.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24/96 rocks. If you have the appropriate system to notice the difference. I can tell in some cases (jazz, some classical) but older recordings (kinks "one fromt he road" and Framptons "Frampton Comes Alive", while they sound awesome, I am not certain I'd be able to tell from CD.

Where I have a/b's to CD, notably on some Diana Krall jazz, I do notice fuller sound and more detail in 24/96.

·
Registered
30 Posts
HD Tracks has a lot of high res albums which can be purchased and downloaded. However, need to cheat a little since they only allow downloads to the US. Unless they've closed the loophole (I haven't bought anything from them for a while), if you use Paypal (which hides the fact you are using a Cdn credit card) and give them a U.S. address (I use a friend's address in the US), they will allow you to download.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just received my Touch today....ordered online and took almost two weeks to get here from Markham...go figure. But I did save about $50 from ordering it directly from Logitech. :)

Anyway, first impression.....totally awesome. Currently streaming my iTunes library from Mac Mini to the Touch on my wireless N network. No problems. I have to sort out the playlists bit and the album cover art but otherwise the setup was easily done in 10 minutes.

I am exploring the internet radio this evening as I type this....already have listened to jazz from the UK and am currently listening to a Top 20 station from Slovakia.

I would like to rip my iTunes into higher bit rate versions and also acquire a DAC to place between the Touch and my Denon AVR-1906. But overall I am extremely happy with this device and delighted at being able to play my iTunes library on my main system. :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I've only been home for a few days, and finally unboxed my (xmas gift) Touch last night, welcoming the 6th SB device into my home. As usual, setup was a breeze and within 3 minutes the Touch was installed and playing some 24/96 Jane Monheit while I sipped an iced Macallan.

SqueezeCommander (Android) instantly recognized and sychronized the new addition. I re-boxed the Touch's IR remote, since with my phone and a SB wi-fi remote (Duet), I have no need for it.

My only complaint about my new toy is that I wish Logitech would stop using the soft i.e. easily scratched, high-gloss plastic that necessitates wrapping everything in cling film. Still, it's a one-time, minor inconvenience while unboxing a great toy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts