Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question on the Digital Video Essentials DVD.

I already have Video Essentails original disc as well as the Avia DVD.
Does the "Digital Video Essentials" DVD have any added value that a HT enthusiast (Hmmm spellcheck :D ) would need to purchase this as well.
Has anybody got feedback for it?

Thanks

Northport

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You might want the DTS test tones to calibrate your speakers for DTS soundtracks, but aside from that, there isn't a whole bunch new here. It's a good test DVD, but likely redundant if you already have AVIA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
Sorry I didn't do a search first. It answered my question.
Don't really need it BUT cheap enough to collect it!
Ya know - like a Box set without the box and none of them really match!
Sad state of affairs I'd say. :oops:

take care

Northport

·
Registered
6 Posts
AVIA or S&V

Where can I buy one of these discs in Calgary? I checked all the logical suspects like Future Shop, A&B, Soundsaround, Visions, etc and phoned a few high end shops (who told me to check Future shop). I don't want to deal with shipping from the States, argh.

Thanks,

Khyron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: AVIA or S&V

Khyron said:
Where can I buy one of these discs in Calgary
Khyron
Bought DVE at Futureshop, Northland Village for ~$30 about 6 mths ago. Also saw it in Futureshop and A&B Sound in the NE.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
emocean said:
A&B Sound should stock the S&V disc (or Essentials). If you don't see it, ask.
::
I phoned both stores, they said they didn't have it anymore. I also asked at the Macleod Future shop - they had nothing. I will phone a few other FSes and if nothing order from amazon I guess. Silly that something every big screen needs (and an easy sell for the salesman) is so hard to find.

Khyron

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
Try some of the home automation places, like K&W.....
It might cost an arm and a leg....
and try London Drugs too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
where do i get avia in mississiagua

where can i get a avia dvd in the mississagua area? and how much are they worth?
does it have a menu so i can adjust the color? the reason is iam trying to set my z2 projector with my lg player and what to get the colours right on...

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
AVIA is relatively expensive and is probably close to C$70-80. Digital Video Essentials and Sound & Vision Disks can be had for half that and would probably do the job. Both are easily obtainable online in Canada or the US.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought mine in Oakville at "Laserland"

They are just off Trafalger Road, south of the QEW. You can get directions from their website www.laserland.com I would call first to make sure they have it in stock.

I paid about $80.00 They were the only place in the GTA that had a copy in stock. You can get it cheaper off the net if you don't mind waiting for it.[/url]

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Although it's actually the only one of the popular test discs I don't own, I still feel that the Sound & Vision disc is the best deal out there. What it's missing is stuff that nobody really ever uses anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picture calibration

Could someone please give me a review of the “Avia Guide to Home Theater”.

I just bought a Samsung HLP4663W, and I am just wondering if I will notice a significant improvement from the DVD calibration. I it worth the $75 to purchase the disk?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
It's quite informative, if nothing else. You paid good money for the TV, so why not at least ensure that it's generating at least a fairly accurate image?

On the other hand, it won't be truly accurate without a grey scale calibration, so if accurate image reproduction is important to you, that $75 would be better spent on a professional colour calibration (generally runs $350-ish on that type of TV).

1 - 20 of 291 Posts