Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Great news for us tennis fans, Rogers Sportsnet has picked up rights to ATP tennis this season. Still not a lot known about the deal, but it looks like it will coverage 500-series events and the Masters Series. I think TSN/CBC still have the Rogers Cup, but I'm not sure at this point.

First event will be a 500-series event from Memphis, Tennessee beginning Thursday, February 17. They will also have events from Dubai and Mexico this month. All coverage appears to be on Sportsnet One. I am still awaiting confirmation on all of this, but I will post again once I have it.

TSN's contract with Roland Garros is also up this season. After this announcement I'd almost be shocked to see TSN re-sign for another year. I expect Sportsnet will/has picked up Roland Garros too. That is just speculation though.

Sorry that I can't really provide anything concrete at this point. As I said, as soon as I know more I'll post. It should be great to see the top tennis players week in, week out, instead of just the Masters Series and Grand Slams.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm mostly only interested in Grand Slams, the Masters, and Davis Cup (which is a huge deal in Europe) but more tennis is always welcome. ATP gives us a chance to see up and comers and it fills gaps in the season especially right after Australia and after the US Open. (Though I'd trade it for regular Davis Cup coverage). Also more complete Masters coverage instead of the piecemeal coverage we normally get. It's also a big step up from poker!

TSN's contract with Roland Garros is also up this season. After this announcement I'd almost be shocked to see TSN re-sign for another year. I expect Sportsnet will/has picked up Roland Garros too. That is just speculation though.
Hmm...I don't know. Tennis isn't a big sport in Canada, with the bulk of those who do watch it only caring about the GSs. ATP may just be filler for Sportsnet One as they don't have much to show at the moment. Buying the rights to the GSs would be much more expensive. I would've thought TSN would want to hang on to the prestigious tournaments including the French.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wonder if they'll get all the Masters Series or just ones TSN can't be bothered with.

Edit: I just noticed the link below from earlier today at Sportsnet.ca

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tennis/2011/02/08/sportsnet_rogers_cup_release/

Rogers Sportsnet and Tennis Canada have announced that the Canadian network has signed an agreement to broadcast the Rogers Cup, the ATP Masters 1000 Series and the ATP 500 Series for an eye-popping 260 hours of tennis coverage.
It sounds like the entire Masters Series. The Rogers Cup too! Maybe they are serious about taking tennis from TSN.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
I just heard on the radio that Sportsnet has changed their schedule tonight in order to show Canadian Milos Raonic's attempt to win his first ATP event in San Jose. (I remember this happening in the UK about ten years ago at this event. No British channel was showing San Jose but then when Greg Rusedski made the final one channel decided to show it live. It's the only time I ever saw a match from this particular tournament).

According to the website it will be on live at 8pm EST on Sportsnet East, Ontario, and Pacific.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the way Raonic has been playing at the event in Memphis this week, I'm glad Sportsnet picked it up. He will be competing on clay in Mexico next week. I'm not sure how good he is on that surface.

Next week this deal may really pay off because Federer and Djokovic are both playing in Dubai. If they meet in the final, that will be a great match.

I'm watching some of Russell-Del Potro right now just to check out the coverage and the quality of tennis is actually pretty good.

Does anyone recognize the commentators? It sounds like Patrick McEnroe as the analyst. The play-by-play's voice sounds familiar, but I can't make out who it is.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been watching coverage on Rogers Sportsnet One the last two nights. At first I also thought the voice was that of Patrick McEnroe doing the analysis but the more he talked I realised it was someone else - though the voice is similar to Patrick's. I don't recognise either of the commentators. The coverage appears to come from the Tennis Channel in the USA.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The "Patrick McEnroe"-like voice may be Sam Gore from ESPN.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sportsnet has picked up Davis Cup too! The news just keeps getting better. More info to come, but for now here are some broadcast windows

Friday March 3, 12:30-6:00pm - Sportsnet One
Saturday March 4, 2:00pm-6:00pm - Sportsnet East/Ontario/West

·
Registered
689 Posts
NB Josh,

Do you know if it is just Canada's Davis Cup matches or the tournament in general?

BTW for those who are interested the Raonic v Roddick final in Memphis is scheduled to begin at 4pm on Rogers Sportsnet One.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Raonic match is also on the regional Sportsnet channels.

Andrew, I'm not sure yet. Sportsnet tells me an announcement is coming later this week. As much as I'd like to see Canada's matches, I kind of hope we get to see World Group competition.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As much as I'd like to see Canada's matches, I kind of hope we get to see World Group competition.
They now have enough channels they should be able to cover both. Obviously Canadian matches should be a priority but the tournament goes on until around late November, early December, long after Canada is likely to be eliminated and there aren't that many weekends involved. There may be the odd weekend when Davis Cup would conflict with live sports on Rogers - possibly MLB between April and October and occasionally EPL from 12.30pm on Saturdays - but this shouldn't be a major problem as they can always shift events between Sportsnet One and the regional channels.

·
Registered
28 Posts
this si great news. ive always wanted to see davis cup matches. tsn's tennis coverage hasnt been great. even during the grand slams. smart move by sportsnet with this raonic guy coming to the scene

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks for the online schedule tip.
Bell's daily schedule doesn't show any early round coverage at all.

Hopefully they'll show some of Raonic's second round match on Sunday and since he's playing 13th seed Mardy Fish from the US, we should see a fair amount.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Raonic plays today (Sunday) in the second match after a match scheduled for 7:30 pm EDT.

My Bell daily schedule still shows no tennis coverage until the quarter finals next Friday.
Before I complain to Bell or Sportsnet, will anyone with Rogers or Shaw let me know what their daily schedules are showing.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sportsnet One has live coverage today from 4:00pm-2:00am ET. Use their online schedule for information because the edition of early round coverage was made at the last minute at the guides that provide listings to the providers (Zap2It mostly) haven't updated their schedules yet.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts