Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing it advertised on Sportsnet a great deal the last couple of weeks. I have not seen or heard if Shaws Direct is going to have it when they start up this weekend does anyone have any information whether they are or not.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound like it is going to be a big deal, suspect Shaw direct will wait and see if there is much demand. Thanks for the web.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There should be at least 30 hockey games (15 sens, 15 canucks). Hockey is always a big seller. As long as it is available for hockey season, i will be :D

·
Registered
439 Posts
SP1 is going to carry 58 Edmonton and 58 Calgary games for the 2101-2011 season according to the Calgary Hearld this morning.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Mellaby, you heard wrong. Sportsnet West and One will combine to have 58 Oilers and Flames games. It will probably be 40 of each team on West and 18 or so on One.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mellaby is dead on - I have just read the official Sportsnet release and it states that there will be at least 58 Flames and at least 58 Oiler's games shown each year.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
No he isn't, straight from the Rogers press release

Beginning with the upcoming 2010-11 NHL season, Rogers Sportsnet West and Rogers Sportsnet ONE will combine to televise at least 58 Calgary Flames and 58 Edmonton Oilers games every year for 10 seasons within the Oilers and Flames regional territory which includes Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
Think about it, Sportsnet West could barely air 40 games for each team a season, there is no way that one channel could air 58 of each team when many of the games conflict. That's the whole reason that One is airing any games.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think they'll get it. Shaw stepped it up recently with carrying both the ScoreHD and TSN2HD and SD, so I'm convinced they know what's good for them and us... more sports. If they don't carry it, the games broadcasted on Sportsnet one will be available through Center Ice, which is the only option for out of region viewers anyways.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I take the NHL package as like Yogibear I'm Sens fan, plus a young lad from our village plays for the Lightning, so follow the Lightning as well. If Shaws do get Sportsnet 1 and charge extra will probably not bother, then again I'm a Jays fan, decision will have to made when they decide to carry it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Like I said (in another thread I think) I am almost certain it will be in Sports 1 with TSN2, The Score, Speed etc. and the the HD version will be in HD Sports.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Just to clarify ... Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct will have to negotiate carriage of Sportsnet One. Rogers wants a per subscriber carriage fee for S-One. For Shaw Cable and Shaw Direct (and every other BDU for that matter) to carry the station, they will have to reach an agreement over the appropriate carriage fee with Rogers.

If you use TSN2 as an example, the rate asked by CTVgm was seen as outrageous by both Shaw and Rogers. Neither BDU picked up TSN2 at its debut. Shaw was ahead of Rogers in reaching a carriage fee agreement with CTVgm, but even it was several weeks after the station first went to air. Rogers reached agreement with CTVgm much later.

Shaw Direct will have to pay Rogers a fee for each subscriber. For them to do so, and include it in one of their existing packages, they will receive no additional revenue for the station. Therefore, it has to make sense from an overall business perspective (importance to the customer, subscriber retention, customer satisfaction, and potential growth in subscriber base). The attractiveness of the station within those dynamics is directly related to Rogers' demands with respect to carriage fee.

Just raising this so that it's out there that this is a business issue between large corporations and may take some time to resolve ... and possibly not until well into the NHL season (NHL games airing on S-One and not seen by a BDU's subscribers will bring pressure on both sides that's not there now ... the NHL teams want their product seen, Rogers needs the advertising revenue to make S-One fly, and the BDUs need to satisfy customer demands). This won't be an issue for Bell, whose business model is to bring in all stations regardless of cost as a differentiation tactic. It will be for other BDU's, Shaw Direct included.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Johnny that is probably the best explanation of the how and why channels get added by various BDUs. That post should be a sticky for all channel discussion threads.

One big thumbs up to you JohnnyCanuck!

·
Read Only
629 Posts
JohnnyCanuck - Thanks for the great explanation.

Since i'm out of market for Oiler games (being in TO) I don't watch any of the sportsnet channels and wouldn't pay a penny to add this channel to my OVP. I'd rather pay for the CTR Ice package and get all games. There's nothing else I would watch on this new or the old channels. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Really? As late as last year there were Jays games that weren't broadcast at all. I'm sure its not the first time you haven't been able to watch a Jays game.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.