Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 720 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sportsnet.ca/one/

Canadian sports fans will have another channel -- and hours of more live sports -- to choose from when Sportsnet One launches on Aug. 14.

More than 800 hours of live sports programming -- featuring the Toronto Blue Jays, Toronto Raptors and Barclays Premier League soccer -- will be available to viewers across the country, the bulk of it in high definition, on the 24-hour national sports digital channel.

Also scheduled to be broadcast are other MLB games, including the Seattle Mariners, and various NBA games.

"We know there is an incredible appetite for live-event sports, and we plan to fulfill that need," Doug Beeforth, president of Rogers Sportsnet, said Tuesday. "We are confident that Sportsnet will be a must watch for Canadian sports fans, and a great addition to the sports broadcasting landscape in Canada."

Sportsnet One launches Aug.14 at 12 noon, beginning with a BPL match featuring defending champion Chelsea and West Brom, followed by a 4 pm ET / 1 pm PT MLB game and then the Blue Jays vs. Los Angeles Angels at 9 pm ET / 6 pm PT.

"Sportsnet One is the perfect complement to our four regional channels," said Beeforth. "We have established a reputation for live events on Rogers Sportsnet, and Sportsnet One continues that tradition."

Rogers Media, which owns Sportsnet One as well as the existing four Sportsnet channels (East, Ontario, West and Pacific), received approval from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a category mainstream sports channel license in March. Sportsnet One will be a national channel with the ability to broadcast regional content.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am still curious as to the approach Sportsnet is taking with this... Are the regional feeds going to be just for the NHL games, and then endless replay's of them during the day? This new channel seems to have EVERYTHING on it, so what else is there left?

EDIT: This also confuses me:
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=535101

Canucks announce new television partnership with Rogers Sportsnet ONE
Rogers Sportsnet ONE will launch on Saturday, August 14th

Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks in partnership with Rogers Sportsnet announced today that they have reached a three-year agreement to broadcast 13 regular season games a year on Rogers Sportsnet ONE, beginning in the 2010.11 National Hockey League season.

Rogers Sportsnet ONE is a new sports channel that will feature over 800 hours of live event programming, the majority of which will be broadcast in high definition. All 13 Canucks games will be broadcast in high definition. Rogers Sportsnet ONE launches on Saturday, August 14th.

This new partnership is in addition to Rogers Sportsnet Pacific’s 45 game Canucks broadcast schedule available to fans in British Columbia and the Yukon Territories. This is another extension of the strong strategic alliance with Rogers Communications.

“This is an exciting acquisition for Rogers Sportsnet ONE,” said Doug Beeforth, President of Rogers Sportsnet. “We know there is a great passion for the Canucks in BC, so this deal complements our existing television package of 45 games.”

“Canucks Sports & Entertainment is committed to providing our loyal fans an affordable opportunity to watch all 82 regular season games on TV and online,” said Victor de Bonis, Chief Operating Officer, Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “This partnership builds on the long term broadcast relationship we have enjoyed with Rogers Sportsnet for the past decade.”

All 58 games will be available via live streaming on Canucks.com and sportsnet.ca. Each of the 58 broadcasts will have "Canucks TV" insider features and a Vancouver based sports panel during intermissions at home games.

NHL regional restrictions do apply for Rogers Sportsnet ONE, as Canucks games are available only to viewers in BC and the Yukon Territories.

The complete Canucks 82 game broadcast schedule including Rogers Sportsnet ONE’s 13 game schedule will be released in August.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I agree. I still don't see the need for a new Sportsnet channel, they already have 4 feeds to show everything on. I don't think they plan to show every Jays game on this channel, just some that conflict with other Sportsnet programming. The one on August 14 is probably only on S-Net 1 to give providers some incentive to add the channel right away.

The only thing this will be good for is the Raptors and those games could have aired on The Score and I'd be just as happy. Oh well, I guess if they air more Red Sox games then that will be a bonus.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I understand winter is the bigger sports season in Canada, which is why the programming on Sportsnet right now is just filler, but, why the partnership with Sportsnet ONE for the Canucks, what is so important on Pacific those nights that they can't show a CANUCKS game. I expect to see Flames and Oilers "regional" games added to this channel since, now that Vancouver has backed out of the PPV agreement, there will be Oilers/Flames conflicts for Sportsnet to address.

·
Registered
320 Posts
There are two ways specialty channels make money. One is through advertising revenue. The other is through cable subscription fees. Once a broadcaster has maxed out the the number of people who will subscribe to a specific channel, the only way to increase subscriber dollars is to get some attractive content on a new channel. Most of your infrastructure is already in place so startup costs are nowhere near what they would be coming from scratch. Thus, new subscription money.

·
Registered
244 Posts
So they are creating a national channel that is going to have content that we already get thru the regional channels PLUS they are going to air regional content on the national channel that everyone isn't allowed to view like Canucks games....brilliant!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Uh Oh

I hope we're not about to see another fiasco similar to the TSN2 launch, where it wasn't available to Rogers customers. With Rogers owning this one, is it a given that BellTV will automatically carry it or will customers get caught in the middle of a spat?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I don't understand this channel. Isn't Sportsnet already showing all 162 Blue Jay games already. What are they going to do move some bluejay games that we are already paying for and move them to Sportsnet One. This will only mean that we will be paying extra to get programming that we are already paying for.

Doesn't it seem all the new channels being added know aren't showing any new programming?

·
Banned
844 Posts
I agree with everyone else, what is the point of this channel?!?

There are already 4 Sportsnet channels, why launch a fifth one when the existing channels don't have enough programming between them?! Aside from baseball & EPL soccer, what the heck else does Sportsnet air- nothing but filler crap like poker & darts.

Looks like another scam channel designed to milk more money out of subscribers but not really giving them anything new. The content on this 'new' channel already airs on the four existing Sportsnet channels. You have to hand it to Rogers, they found another way to get subscribers to pay a second time for the same thing- smooth, real smooth. :cool:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Replacing PPV Nuck games. Cost????

From The Province,

Na na, hey hey, kiss pay-per-view goodbye

By Gordon McIntyre Wed, Jul 28 2010 COMMENTS(0) The White Towel

Filed under: canucks, Rogers

"The Canucks and Rogers strengthened their ties today with the announcement that Sportsnet ONE, a new Rogers channel that goes on air Aug. 14, will broadcast 13 Canucks regular-season games in 2010-11.

That's on top of the 45 games that will be broadcast by Sportsnet Pacific and will replace the pay-per-view dates of years past.

All 13 of the Sportsnet ONE games, which will feature a Vancouver-based panel during intermissions of home games, will be in high-def and will be available in B.C.and the Yukon, as well as via live streaming on Canucks.com and sportsnet.ca _ however, NHL regional restrictions still apply and they won't be available on-line elsewhere.

The Canucks will release a full broadcast schedule, including the remaining 24 games that will be picked up by CBC and TSN, sometime in August.

The Canucks renamed their rink Rogers Arena three weeks ago after 15 years of it being known as GM Place."

I know many B.C. people such as myself would never ever buy a Nuck PPV game but surely somebody must have.
Confused .............

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I don't understand this channel. Isn't Sportsnet already showing all 162 Blue Jay games already.
Not exactly, there are 15 or so that conflict with NFL games and the Memorial Cup. Those games aired on a free preview channel this year, but they will air on Sportsnet One next year.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Sportsnet One - I don't get it

So Sportsnet One is launching, they're going to have 23 Raptors games, 13 Canucks games, baseball games etc. What are the regional channels going to show? Aren't they cannibalizing some of the regional channels to put content on Sportsnet One?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Are we going to get anything extra with this channel or they just taking things of the regionals and putting it on this channel? When they say premier league games are going to be shown on this new channel is that in addition to primer league games being shown on the regional channels? I don't get it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
We will get some extra things. The Jays games would have aired on the temporary Sportsnet Alternate channel in the past, the soccer games aired on Setanta in the past (Sportsnet will still air at least a 10am game) and the Raptors games aired on The Score in the past (basically Sportsnet One is taking over The Score's games and Sportsnet is taking over CBC's games).

This channel is basically a Sportsnet overflow channel. The only problem is that Sportsnet doesn't have enough properties to have too much overflowing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There may be a few things that will be taken from the regional channels such as some Blue Jays games. But some of the baseball games that they will bring on Sportsnet One are non-Blue Jays games, such as the ones they bring on nights when the Jays are off or are playing in the afteroon.

On the other hand, for the past couple of years, Sportsnet has not carried the Raptors at all. Now some of those games will be on the regionals and some will be on Sportsnet One. From what I've read, these are the games that aired on the Score and CBC in previous years. Those two are now out as Raptors broadcasters. Sportsnet One will also be broadcasting additional non-Raptors NBA games.

In the case of the English Premier League, I wouldn't be surprised if they rights to more games than they currently show, but I could be wrong.

The interesting thing is that apparently they are willling to black out Sportsnet One in part of the country to bring regional games occasionally. They have announced that they will be bringing 13 Vancouver Canucks games regionally (BC and Yukon) on Sportsnet One in addition to 45 on Sportsnet Pacific. I suspect these are games that were broadcast on Pay-Per-View in the past.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Channel Canada has the press release on Sportsnet One. An exert...
On Saturday, August 14th, Rogers Sportsnet will offer Canadian viewers an exciting new choice in sports broadcasting with the launch of Rogers Sportsnet ONE, a 24-hour sports digital channel that will feature over 800 hours of compelling live-event programming, the majority of which will be broadcast in high definition.

The live-event line-up features the Toronto Raptors, National Basketball Association, the Toronto Blue Jays, Seattle Mariners, Major League Baseball and Barclay’s Premier League.

1 - 20 of 720 Posts