Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sportsnet will broadcast the following five NHL games tomorrow night across their four channels (regional restrictions apply) in high definition.

• Toronto @ Boston @ 6:30 p.m. (ET) on Sportsnet Ontario
  • Philadelphia @ Ottawa @ 7:30 p.m. (ET) on Sportsnet East
  • Nashville @ Calgary @ 7:30 p.m. (MT) on Sportsnet West
  • Edmonton @ Pittsburgh @ 4:30 p.m. (MT) on Sportsnet West
  • Phoenix @ Vancouver @ 6:30 p.m. (PT) on Sportsnet Pacific
In case you didn't know!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm curious how this is possible, obviously sportsnet is allowed a second feed when a channel blackout is occurring, but how the hell are they going to distribute 5 HD feeds when they only really have one national HD channel. They are going to need to pull off at 4 HD feeds at once. And maybe more if a game goes long.

I'm curious as to how they get away with this, i would of assumed to do this they would need to have each regional channel in HD (which they should anyways!)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sure would be nice to have all 4 in HD, but how would providers to carry 4 SNETHD channels when most are struggling with getting the basics now. Its better the way it is, given the current situation with bandwidth and costs.

The alternate feed is just a set period of time that sportsnet can provide to willing providers. it could be a different channel every time. Its not like its SNET HD 2 and blacked out everywhere.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm curious how this is possible, obviously sportsnet is allowed a second feed when a channel blackout is occurring, but how the hell are they going to distribute 5 HD feeds when they only really have one national HD channel. They are going to need to pull off at 4 HD feeds at once. And maybe more if a game goes long.

I'm curious as to how they get away with this, i would of assumed to do this they would need to have each regional channel in HD (which they should anyways!)
Over the past year, Sportsnet has convinced its carriers (Bell, Shaw, etc) to cough up temporary HD channelsthat are used when they broadcast REGIONAL events in HD.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be quite curious to see if Starchoice blocks out these games. For the last two Senators games at least, if the game is being shown on Centre Ice HD channel then Starchoice has been blacking the game out on the Sportnet HD feed (channel 266).

I have spoken to Starchoice until I was blue in the face on this issue. They keep on coming back to the fact that if the game in on Center Ice HD then you will not get on the Sportsnet HD channel. Makes no sense.

This makes one very frustrated Sens fan!!!!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
By NHL rules they must show the Sportsnet feed of the Ottawa game in the Ottawa area. I guess that doesn't apply to HD feeds. Do you subscribe to NHLCI?

·
Registered
62 Posts
All I know is that I'm currently watching the Pens/Oilers game for free on channel 312 in Shawland. I must be psychic, today was the first time that I had even gotten around to checking what was on those channels in the 300's and bam...HD Sportsnet hockey. :)

eta: hmm, now I see a thread about HD Sportsnet hockey that has been going for months in the Shaw section. Never saw it before. Here I thought I was getting something for free that I should be paying for. Not as fun now that I find out that I am SUPPOSED to be getting this game for free. :p

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
For some unknown reason Bell didn't show the HD Vanouver/Phoenix game in BC, even though they have 4 HD SN channels in the guide.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Yah, I noticed channel 872 well after the game was over. Bell needs to group all the SN HD channels together. Right now they are at 846, 847, 851, 852 and 872. No wonder I couldn't find it. At least they put TSN2H on 848 which is close to 850.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yah, I noticed channel 872 well after the game was over. Bell needs to group all the SN HD channels together. Right now they are at 846, 847, 851, 852 and 872. No wonder I couldn't find it. At least they put TSN2H on 848 which is close to 850.
FYI at least twice during the game Sportsnet ran all the HD channel numbers for BC across the screen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts