Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching the Leafs' game tonight on Sportsnet, and for the first time I've notice in-game advertising while play was still going on. I haven't seen this before and it is really annoying as it covers part of the screen. Has anyone ever noticed this before?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes.... they have been doing it for a long time, but last nights game was the most annoying because the ad was almost 1/4 of the screen, and as you said it was during the action. Honestly, it makes me hate Toyota, because it is their ads that keep popping up. Earlier broadcasts they just showed up on one side of the screen, now it takes up a large portion of the screen.

Every channel seem to now do this.... nothing is more annoying like a show you are watching that places captioning in the bottom of the screen, and then the network pops their own junk over top leaving you to wonder what the information was!

·
Registered
170 Posts
They've been doing it for at least the last two Canucks games as well. Big, blatant popup ads for Delissio Pizza and others. Highly annoying.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Just love that HD promise. Remember when tech was going to shorten the work week and make life just peachy....well guess what is happening to your high def tech. Cover it in ads!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Wait, it gets worse

On tonight's Canucks game, Sportsnet has virtual ads above each goal, made to look like an ad billboard behind the glass. I've seen similar ads on WGN Hawks games and Flyers highlights. I'm a little disgusted by it.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
It doesn't bother me too much. I guess I'm kind of used to many of the European soccer leagues (Serie A, La Liga for example) doing it. WGN was the first North American network that I saw do it.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It doesn't bother me too much. I guess I'm kind of used to many of the European soccer leagues (Serie A, La Liga for example) doing it. WGN was the first North American network that I saw do it.
MSG in New York was actually the very first to do it, then they got into some legal issues with the league (just one of many disagreements between Cablevision and the NHL) and then they went away (league felt they weren't authorized to position the ads there - they were more to the corner I think but the same principle). Finally they got some common ground and then many more teams really started to pick it up this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts