Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sure, and that is fine. In the case of Habs @ Jets game above, why TSN does not open the 4K channel to viewers in Habs market, even though it is Jets coverage? There is no broadcasting rights being violated here. TSN can legally show TSN3 (Jets coverage) to Habs market since the other team playing is the Habs.
That's the thing they can't cause it is a broadcast only meant for the Jets market. So even though the Habs are playing it only counts as a regional Jets game. It's not the teams it's the channel the broadcast is originating from. Same issue will happen tonight as the Leafs are playing the Habs but the 4K channel will only work in the Leafs region with the TSN 4 feed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's a combination of both. Legal because they can't show a teams broadcast outside of it's broadcast zone (even in the opposing teams zone they can't watch the feed) and technical because TSN only has a single 4K channel so if it's being used in one zone they can't use it in another (ie. if the Jets and Leafs are both playing home games at the same time, only one game will be in 4K). Sportsnet has the ability to show a different 4K feed in each region (their 4K channel is always on and shows the local SN feed all the time and shows 4K content when available) and they also have two 4K channels (SN and SN1) so they do have a leg up on TSN in this respect.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
TSN owns the rights to the Habs @ Jets game in the Canadiens’ broadcast region so they can show whatever broadcast they want, but they've sold different advertising in the two markets so they're not going to show the Jets production in the Canadiens’ region.

Does anyone know why Winnipeg has 4K and the Bell Centre in Montreal doesn't?

·
Super Moderator
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of NHL playoff games that are broadcast in 4K. That means shot with 4K cameras and going thru a 4K production truck...etc???

·
Registered
284 Posts
All games from Scotiabank Arena will be in 4K. Not sure if the 4K truck will go back and forth between Scotiabank Arena and Bell Centre for the series. I was surprised last nights game between Edmonton and Winnipeg wasn't in 4K as there are 2 trucks in Canada so it would be safe to assume that Dome would assign one truck to each series. Guess my assumption may have been wrong.

·
Super Moderator
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
There may be COVID-19 quarantine requirements after interprovincial travel.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Unless both trucks are on this series (Toronto vs Montreal) and one parked at each arena thus why the Winnipeg Edmonton series isn't in 4k.

·
Super Moderator
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Toronto at Winnipeg on May 14 was 4K according to TSN's 4K schedule. If the 4K crew stays in Winnipeg, they can work the Winnipeg-based games. If they travel from Winnipeg to Edmonton and back and quarantine for 2 weeks each time, they would miss all the games.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Quarantine requirements are not applicable in this case as broadcasting is considered an essential service. I work for a company which is a broadcaster (although not on the broadcast side of the business) and a lot of people I work with used this loophole to continue business travel during the pandemic even with quarantine requirements. I personally refused to travel (I have young kids and don't want to risk them) but most of the management and some people at my level have.

This being the case, they could have 4K with the truck following the series. Has anyone in the local broadcast area for SNW checked their feed for 4K yesterday? I'm in Ontario and we had the Bruins Caps game on the 4K channel up until mid 2nd period of the Oilers Jets game so it's possible they just stuck the regular feed on us in progress but the SNW people who get that as their 4K would've had it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The Blues @ Avalanche games were produced in HD by Altitude Sports, but I'm guessing Sportsnet didn't show the 4K feed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The short answer for the NHL playoffs so far is that only Toronto home games are in 4K. All other games while they are on SN4K channel, they are just simultaneous broadcast of SN-Ontario in HD.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks like all of the Jays games from Buffalo will be in 4K. In the video showing the new upgrades to Sahlen Field, you can see the Dome Productions truck parked which my guess is the 4K truck from Rogers Centre so likelihood is high starting tonight Jays home games WILL be in 4K.

·
Super Moderator
18,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
The short answer for the NHL playoffs so far is that only Toronto home games are in 4K. All other games while they are on SN4K channel, they are just simultaneous broadcast of SN-Ontario in HD.
Does that mean the Winnipeg home games weren't in 4K, even though the 4K truck is parked there?

·
Registered
980 Posts
In these playoffs? Not that I know of. In the regular season Jets home games on TSN were 4K, but not on SN. In the post-season, all games are on SN and Jets home games in the first round were not 4K.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts