Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just posted this in another thread but this thread may be more appropriate;

I recently got a TIVO 4k from Cogeco and was looking forward to 4k broadcasts. I own an LG OLED C8 and my HDMI cables are up to standard and hooked direct to TV. When I watch Sportsnet 4k on Cogeco I notice bad motion blurring and colours not as crisp as the HD equivalent. I get no blurring on HD. Any thoughts?

Is this because they were not actually broadcasting 4k and does anyone else notice this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the same issue with my 4K tv. This doesn't happen when you're watching a true 4k broadcast. When watching on Sportsnet, you need to look for the SN4K logo in the corner of the screen, when that logo is there it means it's an actual 4K broadcast vs an up converted feed. For Leaf games, it's only usually on Wednesdays and Saturdays and most TSN home games as well.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The first 4K broadcast after the pandemic shutdown. Last night's (01/09) game between Montreal Impact and Toronto FC in Toronto was in 4K.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think the first 4K broadcast was TFC vs Vancouver . I noticed Vancouver whitecaps logo was not as clear as it was on regular TSN channel.

Someone told me the Raptors games are not really in 4K since there is no 4K equipment in Orlando.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On most 4K broadcasts the graphics are blurry cause the video is 4K from the cameras but the graphics are not. It sucks but I guess most of the equipment hasn't been upgraded. I'm a little surprised that none of the hockey games have been in 4K particularly the Rogers broadcasts from Edmonton since they are the host provider. You would think they would have this setup. Also, surprised Blue Jays games also aren't in 4K but I guess they didn't want to haul all the equipment to Buffalo out of Rogers Centre and are using a local crew and equipment probably sub contracted from MSG who broadcasts Sabres games locally in Buffalo.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The broadcast industry as a whole has been terrible at 4k. If you want 4k content, you're pretty much looking at streaming.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea there is no demand from, but okay. 4k receivers are standard from Bell Aliant out here, 4k TVs are common, there's just little to showcase what they can do unless you're streaming. Just another reason to drop linear TV, really.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The NHL and NBA are playing in hub cities and didn't bring 4K cameras? I guess 4k is still just for early adopters.
NBA I can understand. SN and TSN never broadcast in 4K any rebroadcasting program - that they do not produce themselves. Is this a matter of communications and transmissions? What I do not understand is NHL, particularly the ones in Edmonton. SN produces that program themselves.They then transmit it on their own network, yet it is still not in 4K.

·
Registered
935 Posts
All games of the 2021 World Junior Championship on TSN are on 4K. I have no media release for this, just my empirical observation.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Does anyone know when TSN / SN will start rebroadcasting 4k content. I know that US broadcasters are starting to put it out and I would love to watch the Superbowl in 4k if not the whole NFL Playoffs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Does anyone know when TSN / SN will start rebroadcasting 4k content. I know that US broadcasters are starting to put it out and I would love to watch the Superbowl in 4k if not the whole NFL Playoffs.
Fox is upscaling their 1080p HDR production for NFL games to 4K. That would be an improvement, but it's not real 4K. I think it's only available on the Fox Sports app.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Fox is upscaling their 1080p HDR production for NFL games to 4K. That would be an improvement, but it's not real 4K. I think it's only available on the Fox Sports app.
Super Bowl is on CBS this year and they did The Masters in 4k this year so it's reasonable to guess that they would do the Super Bowl in 4k as well.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts