Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I don't think there is a separate app for TSN Direct. It just seems to be a different login. On the web site, you either choose to login in with your TSN Direct credentials or your TV provider credentials.

I don't use Apple, but I looked at TSN GO in the iTunes store and the last update was in August. I don't know if they would need to update the app for 4K, or if the capability was always there for the Apple TV 4K and they just had to provide the 4K content.

EDIT: I installed the TSN android app and it gives you a choice at sign-in - TSN Direct or TSN GO through your TV provider.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Is Sportsnet 4K (at this time SN-Ontario and SN-One) really 4K? I can not see the difference with SN in HD. It is unlike TSN4K - which unfortunately only few and far between - which the difference between 4K and 1080 is perceivable.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
If you click the first link in the first post you'll see the SN schedule. The first thing I found that was in 4K was Tuesday at 7PM (Blue Jays). You have to click the individual days and see if SN4K comes up. You, of course, need to watch it on the 4K channel, not the HD channels.

Very little 4K programming is available on SN. I believe the Jays' home games are available in 4K, so the Wednesday 4PM game is 4K, per the schedule.

Here are more 4K airings of Jays (Home) games:

Friday April 26th,
Saturday, April 27th,
Sunday April 28th
Monday, May 6th
Tuesday, May 7th
Wednesday, May 8th
Friday, May 10th
Saturday, May 11th
Sunday, May 12th

·
Registered
937 Posts
Okay. So even if they are their 'dedicated' 4K channels SN puts myriad of HD shows on them? Meanwhile TSN only puts true 4K shows on their 4K channels? That explains the difference.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
I'm not aware of what TSN4K does because I don't have 4K boxes, but what SN does is no different than in the early days of HD when almost all the programming on HD channels was upconverted SD.

If you wish to see some 4K programming for demonstration purposes, YouTube has it when you search for "4K". Of course you need the Internet bandwidth to be able to stream it well. Most of the streams are around 30 mbps, with some of them more.

·
Registered
937 Posts
What TSN does is that on their 4K channels they only put selected number of shows titled '4K'. Outside of those shows, there are only static graphics. Compare that with SN where they air shows 24/7 on their 4K channels.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
The Jays game looks like it's actually in 4k to me. Unlike a lot of hockey games they aired on SN4k, which were totally indistinguishable from SNHD. And yes, anything puts on TSN4k is actually 4k. SN4k usually isn't.

·
Super Moderator
17,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
@Smokin Joe I moved your post to the sports forum. I haven't read the whole article, but 1080p HDR up-converted to 4K HDR would definitely be an improvement from 720p SDR. I haven't looked at this in a while, but I don't think any Canadian providers are using 4K HDR yet, but several of them are HDR-ready.

The Fox channel is just regular HD, but if they provide a 4K feed to TSN, it could result in a better picture on TSN 4K.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts