Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a similar question as a previous poster, but I want to make it more specific, as I wasn't quite able to find an answer to this.

My main system's components:

• Shaw 630 HDPVR
  • Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S30 50" TV
  • Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player
  • Onkyo TX-NR609 A/V Receiver
  • Xbox 360

With the setup I have, I believe I'll be using HDMI cables to connect everything to the A/V receiver, unless anyone has any better suggestions...

My main system is around 125ft. from my secondary TV. I want to occasionally watch a TV event on my secondary TV, but I do not want to have another active STB from Shaw.

I'm wondering what the options I have are with the 630. Looking at the back of the unit, I don't see any satellite out, only a UHF input. Is there a way I can split the signal and somehow run a coaxial cable (or any other kind of cable for that matter) to my other TV? If so, what do I need?

Also, any thoughts about picture degradation over that distance? I know I've run coaxial cable 150ft. to a TV once and there was nothing wrong with the picture.

I am placing an order from Monoprice today, so I'm wondering what I should be adding to the order.

Thank-you very much for your help! I've really appreciated this site!

·
Registered
537 Posts
With a run that long, your best bet is to use component cables from your 630 connected either an RF modulator or old VCR, which would then run RG-6 or RG-59 coaxial cable to your second tv. minimal signal degradation if the cables and connectors are intact. downside is you will not have HD to second TV. if you want to control your receiver from the second location, make sure you have the UHF antenna hooked up to the 630.

·
Super Moderator
56,862 Posts
For HD, it may be possible to use HDMI if you use very thick cable (22 ga) and a repeater or two. Also, you could consider simply using 3 very long component video cables, but you'd need audio and for that you'd need 2 very long analogue audio cables. Most people make these cables out of RG6 with the approprite (RCA) connectors at both ends.

If the TV is SD, then you can do as mentioned in the previous post, but use the composite (not component) video/analogue audio outputs on the 630 - I assume it has them - to an RF modulator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank-you for your answers so far.

@frenchophile - So I take the composite cable from out the back of my 630, and plug it in to a modulator of some sort. From there, I *could* then use my RG6 coaxial cable to run to the 2nd TV.

Questions: (1 Do I plug in the RG6 cable directly into the second TV? (2 Does it matter what modulator I get? Are they all the same? Any recommendations would be great. (3 To get the signal on the 2nd TV, do I just make sure the 630 and the modulator is on, and tune in to a specific channel or something?

@57 - The 630 just has one HDMI port and that will be going to the A/V receiver. Is there a workaround?

Oh, and I should probably mention the second TV that's 125' away is Hi-def.

·
Super Moderator
56,862 Posts
@57 - The 630 just has one HDMI port and that will be going to the A/V receiver. Is there a workaround?
HDMI splitter and/or repeater and/or switch. I assume you'd want sound at the other TV, so you'd need to split/switch upstream of the AVR. The placement of the repeater(s) is important and is discussed on most sites that sell them. There may be a repeater/switch/splitter combination available...

·
Registered
851 Posts
You could get HDMI/sound to your second TV with an HDMI® Extender Using Cat5e or CAT6 Cable.

These consists of 2 boxes, one at each end. You plug HDMI into each from your components, and then connect the 2 boxes together with Cat6 - directly, not via a router. This is expensive, ~$200 so you would be cheaper getting another set top box. These units can also pass IR commands back and 'blast' the controlling unit. But it will work to lengths of over 300 feet

Search Monoprice for more.

·
Registered
537 Posts
if you want to watch second tv in HD, a second receiver (600) would be the way to go. the upfront cost would be considerably less, but if you factor the monthly multi-receiver fee, in the long run (like 5+ yrs), this will cost more than the options suggested by 57 and smp01. on the plus side, the fee gives you warranty.

if you don't care, then an RF modulator would be the cheapest/easiest option. you would plug that cable into the back of your TV and tune to analog CH 3 or 4. you don't need anything high end, you can find one for about $15. you could also use an old VCR, very easy to find secondhand on CL or at a garage sale

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@smp01 - I actually had replied earlier with a question regarding a unit on monoprice that actually did that, but my post was not approved and didn't show up. I saw one on their for $90 or so that did up to 165ft. My question is, where am I plugging in the HDMI cable from?

@frenchophile - RF modulator looks interesting, but I would then have to fish 3 component video cables down through 2 floors, and that many cables gets a bit dicey because of the room in the wall. That's why I was looking for a single cable solution. Correct me if I'm wrong about my assumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For some reason (I have no idea why), my last 2 posts have not gone through. I'm new here, but nothing I wrote goes against any policy I'm sure of that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I'll just say the product id is: 8158, and I have it in my cart right now. I still have the question, where is the HDMI cable coming from since my 630 only has one HDMI output, and I was going to plug that into the A/V receiver?

·
Super Moderator
56,862 Posts
There are no posts under moderation, so your posts are all here.

I was looking for a single cable solution
An RF Modulator would use an RF-coax, which is a single cable. The modulator would be set next to your STB and then the RF-coax would go to your other TV, tuned to channel 3 or 4. It would carry SD Video and mono audio.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections FAQ

·
Super Moderator
56,862 Posts
product id is: 8158
This unit is designed for 2 runs of Cat5/6. What you want is an HDMI splitter ahead of a unit designed for a single run of Cat5/6. One HDMI split goes to your current TV and one goes to a box designed for one Cat5/6 run, or use only one side of 8158. Remember that if using Cat5/6, you also need a "receiver" at the other end to go from Cat5 back to HDMI (2 of which are included with the 8158 package, but you only need one since your other TV doesn't need the cat5/6 run)

For a single HDMI, look up unit 6532 - it requires 2 cat5e/6 cables for a single HDMI run... Note allowable distances depend on resolution and cable use - see specs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the great information @57.

Obviously the cheaper solution would be the modulator > coax cable > 2nd TV. I already have the 100-125ft. coax, and the modulator would be less than $15. I guess I would need a short S video cable? to plug into the modulator. Other benefits is a single cable solution as I don't have much room in the walls to string the cable.

Downside: Standard definition, mono sound.

Question: Are all the modulators S video? Or are any component video? What kind of cable would I use to connect to the modulator? Would this product (6159) work?

-----

Or I could go for the HDMI splitter > HDMI Extender > 2nd TV.

$25 for 2 100ft Cat6 cables.
$25 for 1X2 HDMI splitter box.
$40 for HDMI extender.

Much more expensive, but would carry HD video and sound? Also tougher to string 2 additional cables through the floors than one.

·
Super Moderator
56,862 Posts
Are all the modulators S video?
I would think that most use composite video/analogue audio. I doubt there are many, if any component video. Since the modulator is RF-coax, the S-video or composite video would be more than adequate if you decide to go that route. 6159 is a bit of an odd duck with S-video/composite and mini-jack audio. I would have thought that something like 660 for composite or 2187 for S-video would do the trick, depending on the devices at both ends.

The more expensive option would carry HD video and audio to the TV, but since the TV is only stereo, you'd hear stereo. Remember you'll need a remote that can control from that distance, but you should be able to test that now.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
All are composite video, since that is what NTSC broadcasts use (the modulator is just a miniature analog TV transmitter). If they have S-video (which none of the 6xx receivers have anyways), it just sums the Y and C signals to make composite video to transmit on the modulator.

Most do mono audio, but you can spend at least twice the cost of a typical TV RF modulator, for a stereo one, or at least could.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts