Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what the best way is. The UHF port is used by the UHF remote Antenna so I can't use coax. Is there such a thing as long extended runs of component cables? I'm looking at around 35-50 feet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You can't use Coax in any event. That's not an output for video, it's an input for the UHF remote's antenna.

HDMI runs can be awesomely long. Go HDMI to the farthest TV and component to the closest. If that's not an option, downconvert the composite to coax with a cheapo box and run it that way.

·
Super Moderator
56,440 Posts
Running HDMI for great lengths can be problematical sometimes - requiring thick cables - 22 ga for anything over about 10-15', and sometimes an HDMI repeater. Component video can be run for 30-35', but again, you want good quality cables - RG6.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should be more clear, id like to maintain the HD to the furthest TV, when you say "cheapo box" what type of Box are you referring to? 57, RG6 is a coax is it not? Or is there such a thing as RG6 component?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'll second that. One RG6 vs five and no remote issues either. An HDMI splitter and 50' cable should work but it won't be cheap. (50' is the design limit for HDMI but it's been known to work for longer distances with very good cables.) Even better is to buy a new 605 on sale. Dell and big box stores sometimes have 605s for under $100.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it still worth buying used 505's and 530's ? Like how much longer will it be until all channels are mpeg4 ?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's less than a year until the MPEG4 switch will take place, probably 6-9 months. Not worth it unless the receiver is extremely cheap (like almost free.)

·
Super Moderator
56,440 Posts
Component video can be RG6 or RG59 - this refers to the thickness of the conductor. There may also be other thicknesses. Since component was mentioned, I just wanted to clarify.

If you want HD, then you'll need to use component or HDMI. Agreed that HDMI is a better choice and if you go with an active (powered) HDMI splitter, then you should be able to make it since it's a sort of repeater.

If you only want SD, then you can use the composite output to an RF modulator (along with analogue audio obviously), like a VCR and use RF-coax to the (SD) TV.

As mentioned before, get yourself another STB or PVR for the other TV - best option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts