Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1761 - 1774 of 1774 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The ONLY "Topless" 2-Way Splitter I found [using Google image search] was XGFS-2 from Toner Cable....S/H will drive the cost up even higher:
https://www.tonercable.com/pdf/xgfs-2_2_way_1_ghz_topless_splitters.pdf
https://www.tonercable.com/products/xgfs-2-2-way-1-ghz-topless-splitter.php
https://www.cablesatellitesupply.com/Toner-Cable-XGFS2-2-Way-Topless-Splitter-p/xgfs2.htm

Insertion Loss Spec is about as good as it gets....just a bit higher than the "better" holland GHS-2 splitter [cuz they spec'd for up to 750 vice 1000 MHz] and just a bit lower than the "budget" holland GHS-2P splitter:
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/upload_file/Passives-GHS_GSV-GHS-Blk.pdf
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/upload_file/Passives-GHS-HSU-Splitters.pdf [Budget]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks a lot for the info you guys, I'll keep the balun phasing in mind and that Toner Cable topless splitter looks perfect. I picked a bad day to call in an order (forgot it was July 4th). That must have been an interesting google image search.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With another phase of the repack done and a new channel showing up, I got some motivation to do a scan with the SDR to see whats out there. Same setup as a couple of posts ago, but this time with the GH8n3 as the antenna.

GH8n3

GH8n3 with Bandpass174-216/470-698,Notch14,35

Usual suspects show up, three local channels plus FM band being the strongest signals around here. RF36 has since moved to RF14. With the BP and notches, FM and RF35 drops below, and on RF14,15 you can see the curve of the notch.:nerd

With AGC turned on GH8n3

With AGC turned on, GH8n3 with Bandpass174-216/470-698,Notch14,35

Turning AGC on you can see all the other channels show up. Not sure how useful it is to see raw signal strength since it looks to me that it tempers the strong signals (gain control duh). But I guess it gives you an idea of what the TV tuner sees. For reference, 38 is the weakest signal that comes through about 95% of the time. You can see RF49 hanging out below that threshold. 33 and 36 are technically stronger signals then 49, but are affected by the notch at 35.

50-800MHz Waterfall

Waterfall looks pretty cool. You can pick out the individual channels and see individual cellular signal blocks.

Main take away for me is that RF35 is far weaker then expected (TVfool RF14,15,35 -30,-25,-18db respectively). RF14,15 are +14db pretty much dead center of main lobe. RF35 is either touching the edge of the lobe (+3db) or in the null (-15db) depending on the accuracy of my aim. At the TV tuner with BP,notch,amp, it ends up being -35,-31,-67db.

Once I build an outdoor antenna and test, it looks like I'll end up getting a weaker notch for 35 as it's overkill right now and causing unnecessary damage to its adjacents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pete, 7 years after your post, you made my day, as i was searching the internet, for answers to questions i had relating to amp and pre-amp. I have a Wine Guard antenna and pre-amp on the mast and experiencing bad reception on some channels. I already tried a dist. amplifier (ChannelMaster 3414 2-port) but installed it before the PSU of the preamp and reception was worse. I will try your troubleshooting technique and see if i really need an amplified splitter.
Wish you long days.
Pierre from Québec, Canada.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bell sat and OTA cables into diplexer issue

Guys just want to confirm something here. I am unable to use a diplexer to combine the two signals but, testing one at a time will work ? Using two Eagle Aspen diplexers 950 -2250 / 40-860 MHz one at the end of 50 ft cable runs (SAT RG6 and the other OTA RG-59) to TV using 25 ft ( RG-59) then split again using two 4 ft ( RG-6) cables; one to antenna in the other to SAT in to receiver. Is the mix of cables the issue or is diplexer bad / wrong ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just an opinion, but using diplexers to share only 25' of cable, and only RG59 at that, seems like bad economics. Can you run RG6 runs direct to each receiver instead? Or is it just a single SAT/OTA receiver?
I can tell you that I never had any luck combining OTA and SAT so it might be just me.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
In principle should work fine... What is it that isn't working?
It can be a convenient way of moving them signals from point a to b without drilling additional holes, etc.
Usual assumption being that the DC power is Passed only on the SAT side to power LNB, and isn't required on the OTA side.
I suppose could also need to make sure it is able to pass the "diseqc like" signaling of the Bell system on the Sat side.
If that were the case, then there might be diplexers available that indicate 'dishnetwork approved'.

For example, this one says 'Dishnetwork Approved' but cautions that it isn't meant for 'Dish Pro Plus' installations.
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/catalog.php?product_id=STVC-Satellite-TV-Diplexer
If your having a Dish Pro Plus antenna system then I would agree with Red Knave,ur probably better off keeping things simple and isolated
by running separate coax.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Or is it just a single SAT/OTA receiver?

Correct, currently just one receiver in basement and using component out and L R audio to bring signal to main floor outlet - TV. this as you know only allows the same channels to be viewed both in basement and main floor. Using the only cable run in place RG59 for the OTA signal to the TV installed / when house was being framed and being an insulated exterior wall too much of a pain to pull another cable.

In principle should work fine... What is it that isn't working?

I do have a second receiver I am able to use with the dishpro 500 Twin LNB setup, so tried it using the second LNB cable thinking problem solved. Each of the TVs could now watch separate Bell channels, and it works fine until I add the diplexers and OTA cables to the mix; neither work when everything connected. But as mentioned disconnecting the second (splitting the signal diplexer) and directly connecting the existing RG59 cable wall connection to bell sat box or the OTA antenna in on the tv both work independently ! I even made two new RG6 cable lenghts exactly the same lenghts ( 4 ft) to use after diplexer signal separation but still nothing. That is what makes me question can the diplexer(s) be faulty or are they not the correct types ?

I simply want to include better quality OTA signals to my options from Detroit area broadcast, using my rooftop antenna already in place. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I would try a couple of these.. That one specifically says Dishnetwork Approved on it
and there is an ebay seller currently selling qty 4 of them for ~ $8 US.

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/upload_file/DPD2.pdf

Also keep in mind, if the old RG59 Coax you are trying to re use is made from Copper Clad Steel Center Conductor (CCS), that could cause extra voltage drop. There is also the matter of the signaling. I always recommend using quality Solid Copper Center Conductor, RG-6 coax (SC, not CCS) for anything that carries DC Voltage/Current. Basically, RG59 is garbage.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
NEW Channel Master CM-3201 LTE Filter

Channel Master has modified its CM-3201 LTE Filter for the Post-Repack 14-36 UHF TV Band.

This is the spec sheet:

These are my measurements of the filter I bought:

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Since both versions of the CM-3201 LTE Filter use the same model number, there have been reports of receiving the old one when the new one was ordered. The passband for each version is shown on the filter.

caveat emptor

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Only CM could something like that...
Anyone else would have changed the Part Number.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
They apparently haven't put such thought in to the preamp products, as I see they are still specifying amplifying up to 700 MHz. But I give em credit for at least adding the high/low gain switch to some of their preamps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The more fun part as they updated the inline filter ,but not the all in one Preamp CM7778HD which is still 700 Mhz after moving production to Europe and redesigning to V3

1761 - 1774 of 1774 Posts