Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
TV and internet coexist on the same cable when entering the house. If there is a splitter in the garage then remove it and use a barrel connector to join the incoming cable to the TV room cable. Then the existing slitter can be put in the TV room to feed the TV and the internet modem/router. If the splitter is inside a locked Rogers box with two cables exiting then it may be necessary to call Rogers to remove it and feed the TV room coax directly.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I've use diplexers to combine and separate sat and OTA. Two diplexers are needed, one to combine and another to separate the signals. They should work for cable internet but cable technology keeps changing so it's not guaranteed. The ones I use had a crossover frequency of 1GHz which is perfect for sat and OTA. As far as I know, cable services are still under 1GHz but there may be some that are not. The other issue is that cable companies are very fussy about stray signals leaking into their cable system. Combining cable internet and satellite (or any other outside signal) is likely a no-go as far as the cable company is concerned.

A better solution would be to improve wifi coverage. There are a number of ways to do so. They include a better main router, wired or wireless repeater and access point, powerline devices and mesh systems. Don't know what internet wifi equipment is currently being but it could likely be improved upon.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I think Cable TV Frequencies in North America can go up to 1 GHz.
Current TV services top out at 1GHz but could, in theory, go to 2GHz or higher. Rogers Whole Home, for example, uses frequencies above 1GHZ with filters to prevent the signals from backfeeding into the system. Newer versions of MOCA can use frequencies up to 1.5GHz.

I suspect some of the more advanced satellite systems might even have more spectrum
coming down the coax from the dishes these days.
DPP systems in use by Dish Network and Bell uses frequencies from 950MHz to 2250MHz.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I would be looking at increasing the internet speed and wifi speed instead. 15Gbps is marginal for streaming these days, especially if watching 4K material or the connection is shared with other uses. A wifi repeater or access point may be enough to boost wifi speed and eliminate streaming issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts