Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sat coming into the TV room( coaxial) and internet( coaxial) coming in upstairs. Both connections are in the garage. I would like to put everything in the TV room. I thought I could use a spltter but the splitter has 1 in and 2 out. so I need 2 in 1 out correct? I have 2 signals coming in and I want to push them both downstairs on 1 coaxial line..Can that be done? I tried the splitter I have a BGI 2 way...but no go
I am hoping to improve netflix streaming since we get spinning ball too many times. We use a Roku for Netflix and as our wifi connection to our modem because our TV is dumb so we thought it might be the laggard. Our connection is 15 meg down 1 up which should be sufficient since it is for everything else. Internet is from teksavvy
I appreciate any help

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
You do not need a splitter for the situation you describe. You need a Diplexer. it combines 2 different signals (with different frequencies) onto one cable, then breaks them up back into two outputs again.

In theory it should work, however I am not entirely sure what frequency range is used for cable modem, its definitely different than that of cable tv so i am unsure if a diplexer rated for Cable TV will pass thru the cable modem frequencies.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
TV and internet coexist on the same cable when entering the house. If there is a splitter in the garage then remove it and use a barrel connector to join the incoming cable to the TV room cable. Then the existing slitter can be put in the TV room to feed the TV and the internet modem/router. If the splitter is inside a locked Rogers box with two cables exiting then it may be necessary to call Rogers to remove it and feed the TV room coax directly.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...to clarify one is sat dish...and the other is cable internet so they aren't sharing the same line into garage. ..but I want them to share the line going to the basement. I will check out a Diplexer.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
How challenging would it be to run 2 separate wires, one from the satellite dish, and one from the Rogers NID to your basement? Most of the time its very easy to do esp in older homes, but yeah if you absolutely cant, then yes you can consider a diplexer, you would need 2 of them, one to combine the signals onto one wire, and another one to break out the signals from one wire back to two.

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I've use diplexers to combine and separate sat and OTA. Two diplexers are needed, one to combine and another to separate the signals. They should work for cable internet but cable technology keeps changing so it's not guaranteed. The ones I use had a crossover frequency of 1GHz which is perfect for sat and OTA. As far as I know, cable services are still under 1GHz but there may be some that are not. The other issue is that cable companies are very fussy about stray signals leaking into their cable system. Combining cable internet and satellite (or any other outside signal) is likely a no-go as far as the cable company is concerned.

A better solution would be to improve wifi coverage. There are a number of ways to do so. They include a better main router, wired or wireless repeater and access point, powerline devices and mesh systems. Don't know what internet wifi equipment is currently being but it could likely be improved upon.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I think Cable TV Frequencies in North America can go up to 1 GHz.

Satellite TV IF frequencies for legacy FSS and DSS bands, start at 950MHz (950 - 1450 MHz).
So there may be some overlap if ya used a pair of Satellite / OTA Diplexers.
I suspect some of the more advanced satellite systems might even have more spectrum
coming down the coax from the dishes these days. I am not familiar with them all.
(eg band stacking feeds, etc.).

I think I would login to my Cable Modem and determine exactly which RF Channels they are using for the Internet service. On my Motorola Surfboard modem, I login to 192.168.100.1
to see the RF Frequencies and their current SNR (signal quality). Yours may be different, but google it.
For reference, in the downlink mine are:
705,651,657,663,669,675,681,693 MHz
all ~ 38 to 39 dB SNR.

Your Cable System's Freqs will certainly be different, but their SNR should be up there in a similar range. If yours are significantly lower in SNR, that might explain some of your issues.
Further, If I were to change anything related to the cable modem's rf path I would want to take
a peek at the SNR readings in my modem before and after the change to be certain that I didn't degrade the signal quality at all in the process.

Code:
CBAND
3700-4200 MHz
5150 MHz LO
IF = 950 to 1450 MHz

Ku FSS Band
11700-12200 MHz
10750 MHz LO
IF = 950 to 1450 Mhz

KU DSS Band
12200 - 12700 MHz
11250 MHz LO
IF = 950 to 1450 MHz

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I think Cable TV Frequencies in North America can go up to 1 GHz.
Current TV services top out at 1GHz but could, in theory, go to 2GHz or higher. Rogers Whole Home, for example, uses frequencies above 1GHZ with filters to prevent the signals from backfeeding into the system. Newer versions of MOCA can use frequencies up to 1.5GHz.

I suspect some of the more advanced satellite systems might even have more spectrum
coming down the coax from the dishes these days.
DPP systems in use by Dish Network and Bell uses frequencies from 950MHz to 2250MHz.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The basement is completely finished so fishing wires would be a PITA if not impossible but will take all the advice and see what might help..thx

·
Registered
10,628 Posts
I would be looking at increasing the internet speed and wifi speed instead. 15Gbps is marginal for streaming these days, especially if watching 4K material or the connection is shared with other uses. A wifi repeater or access point may be enough to boost wifi speed and eliminate streaming issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts