Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my very first post to digitalhome. I have been creeping around reading lots of posts. I finally have a question.

I am installing a new HT in the basement and I have a 5.1 system. We will have a smaller "reading" room off to the side which I would like to run an in-ceiling speaker off the main centre channel. The centre speaker is 100w. My question is if this is even possible. My centre channel does not have a series run for speaker wire, so I would need to split it. Do I lose wattage?

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Connecting two speakers to the same speaker output of an AVR is not recommended since the impedance is then not correct. Most AVRs have an option for using a "B" set of speakers or another zone. What is the make/model of the AVR?

See the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
360 Posts
Depending on the type of AVR being run, and if it has preouts, would it be possible to run another amp off of the preouts to power the second center channel?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
57, you are my new hero. Just checked behind my AVR and I do in fact see a "B" output. There are 2 outputs for "B" and both sit below the left and right fronts for "A". Do I need to have 2 speakers again? Or can I merge both left and right into a single speaker?

I apologize if these questions seem dumb, but you can see I am a newbie. And thanks for the link to the FAQ.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
It would be best to connect two speakers, but if you only have one, you could connect to say the left "B" channel and see if the AVR has a "mono" setting to send what was the L&R to the L.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Joe, why do you want to connect to the center channel? For the dialogue of movies? You're not channeling stereo/music to the other room?

Also, you should be able to connect two speakers to the center channel BUT be SURE to use SERIES wiring.

If you want stereo/music instead of center channel, the B pair of speakers can support another L and R, as recommended above.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the help Lex. I didnt realize I had a "B" ouput when I made my original post. So I thought splitting one ouput would be easiest.

My plan now is to infact run both L and R to the smaller side room.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts