Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
They haven't done that is years. Mostly it is COPS that is on, which is great as I enjoy watching it.

I am excited to see Waco, I hope the CRTC doesn't bugger this up and disallow Paramount from retaining Spike's place on the approved list.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have not watched spike in a while. I know on Satellite we still get the SD feed, and I usually shun away from watching SD channels when I invested so much in HD TVs and Monitors.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The CRTC did receive complaints when TNN became Spike (particularly from Men TV), but they brushed it off because they did not see any real competition in their programming against Canadian services (they viewed it as just being a general entertainment channel targeting a male audience; as opposed to Men TV, which was meant to be men's lifestyle)

Since the CMT debacle, the CRTC has been much more reluctant to pull U.S. channels for perceived "competition" with Canadian networks. If Spike were pulled from Canada at any rate (either by Viacom or by force), they'll likely partner with one of the usual suspects (perhaps Bell. They've already got some Viacom relationships, plus Fashion Television or MTV2 could really use a reboot).

But one begins to wonder; besides carriage fees, Viacom probably doesn't earn much from selling the U.S. feed into Canada, no matter how long-standing it is. Would it be more profitable to just license the kit and kaboodle to the "usual suspects" (even if it deforms into "45% Paramount Network originals, 55% recycled cancon and acquisitions" 12 months in?)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
US general entertainment channels tend to get a lot of programming blackouts anyway. If it's not simsubs it's substitutions due to programming rights. Many of the US specialty channels we see on BDUs are special Canadian versions from fibre feeds.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I haven't had cable in 4 years now, but do/will they still show endless reruns of VIP as placeholders for shows for which they don't own the Canadian rights?
I have a feeling that the BET we have is airing films & shows such as Meet the Browns as placeholders for programs they don't own the Canadian broadcast rights to, as the only thing they air every day are those 2 programs & that's it. I have a feeling that this schedule is a Canadianized version of BET.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Today's release:

Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2017-419 | CRTC
In a letter to the Commission dated 23 August 2017, Viacom Inc.’s Canadian representative Jessop & Proulx LLP indicated that effective 18 January 2018, the service would change its name to Paramount Network and confirmed that the nature of the service would remain unchanged. Accordingly, the Commission amends the list to reflect this name change.

·
Registered
301 Posts
While that sounds good, I've been trying to set my PVR for Waco, which is supposed to debut on the 24th and nothing is coming up. Are we basically getting Spike rebranded as the Paramount Network or are they actually going to have the proper US feed? I noticed when I searched for Waco on Sasktel, something comes up with a longer title but it is showing as airing on A&E. I suspect us Canadians are going to essentially get a Fox Sports Racing version of Spike, what I mean is that Cops will still be shown on it and a few other things no Canadian networks have the rights for, but we are not getting the full network ala FS1.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Nothing's changed in terms of licensing of shows. They don't have the rights to some of the shows in Canada, so they won't be showing them here. Stuff like Cops and Bar Rescue fills in those gaps.

That may change as time goes on if they choose to not sell of Canadian rights in the future, but as of right now it works the same as it did before the rebrand.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
Here is the U.S. schedule from:
TV Schedule | Channel Finder | Shows, Episodes | PARAMOUNT NETWORK

9:00AM 27 DRESSES (2008)
11:30AM THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (2006)
2:00PM FORREST GUMP (1994)
5:30PM PITCH PERFECT (2012)
NEW 8:00PM LIP SYNC BATTLE

Zap2it shows LIP SYNC BATTLE reruns in Canada instead of the movies, followed by the new episode at 8 PM Central (It looks like PARAMOUNT adjusted their schedule automatically based on geolocation.)

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
While that sounds good, I've been trying to set my PVR for Waco, which is supposed to debut on the 24th and nothing is coming up. Are we basically getting Spike rebranded as the Paramount Network or are they actually going to have the proper US feed? I noticed when I searched for Waco on Sasktel, something comes up with a longer title but it is showing as airing on A&E. I suspect us Canadians are going to essentially get a Fox Sports Racing version of Spike, what I mean is that Cops will still be shown on it and a few other things no Canadian networks have the rights for, but we are not getting the full network ala FS1.
Keep in mind that Spike picked up the U.S. rights for Waco back in Oct. 2016, long before Paramount was announced. Some of the other new series that were announced were moved to Paramount from TV Land, so they probably will not be shown in Canada either.

Judging from Zap2it, Paramount isn't going out of their way to schedule programming where they've secured the Canadian rights, so my guess is Paramount will be a lot like the old Spike as far as Canada is concerned.

The good news is that the series may show up in Canada shortly after they finish airing on Paramount. The Mist started streaming on Netflix internationally as soon as it completed its run on Spike. See:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/29-whats-television/275138-mist-tv-series-canada.html

The bad news is that Waco was developed by The Weinstein Company, which is legal limbo, so it depends whether they signed an international deal before everything hit the fan.

It looks like Paramount is changing the schedule on the fly. FORREST GUMP is now on the Canadian schedule according to Zap2it this afternoon where they showed LIP SYNC BATTLE reruns when I looked earlier.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
It looks like Paramount is changing the schedule on the fly. FORREST GUMP is now on the Canadian schedule according to Zap2it this afternoon where they showed LIP SYNC BATTLE reruns when I looked earlier.
It may be a bit early to tell yet, but according to what I see on Zap2it, it appears to be pretty much another wasteland, an occasional decent movie surrounded by garbage.

·
Super Moderator
16,559 Posts
The Bar Rescue press release is from the U.S., but they had the Canadian rights to previous seasons and the advance listings show the season premiere on the Canadian feed.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts