1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I've heard rumours for awhile that Viacom is going to let a bunch of their cable channels die off and focus on MTV and a new channel - looks like that new channel will be a re-brand of Spike with the best of the other channels shows relocated.

I hope they continue to have content available online for free in Canada - the current Spike website is great for those of us who cut the cord, as most programs are available.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have to wonder if the channel will continue to be available in Canada at all given rights issues. The "best of" those other channels would almost certainly be owned by someone here already. If that's indeed what's happening though, it further points to the dying of traditional cable.

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
someone correct me if I'm wrong here but wasn't their a Paramount Network years ago?

I seem to recall that the "Super Stations" turn into two networks?

The Warner Bros Network(WPIX & KTLA) & The Paramount Network(WSBK & WGN)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You are probably thinking of UPN. WSBK and WWOR were the only UPN affiliates in the superstation group. WGN, WPIX & KTLA were WB (Warner Bros.) affiliates.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
UPN (United Paramount Network) was an OTA network that was folded into the CW. Spike being a a cable only channel.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
UPN is a defunct over the air network. Spike is a cable channel that started off as The Nashville Network >> TNN >> The National Network >> Spike TV >> Spike and soon to be Paramount.

The Nashville Network got bought sometime ago (years) by Viacom/Paramount and they are rebranding it (again) and resurrecting the Paramount Name.

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
If I had to guess, this channel will likely cease operations in Canada unless they clear some library paramount programs for Canada. It doesn't appear this channel is going to be having any first run programs but a lot of library content is also already owned by Canadian broadcasters. Whether it's exclusive ownership is another question.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If I had to guess, this channel will likely cease operations in Canada unless they clear some library paramount programs for Canada. It doesn't appear this channel is going to be having any first run programs but a lot of library content is also already owned by Canadian broadcasters. Whether it's exclusive ownership is another question.
Not sure what's giving you that impression. Viacom is doing this because they want to expand the channel's audience. It's not going to be a catalog dump. Off hours might be library stuff that's already been sold up here, but Spike has always offered a Canada-specific feed that ran reruns in those situations (same happens with AMC and a few other US cable nets up here).

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
'The Shannara Chronicles' Moving To Spike TV - Season 2 Not On MTV | TVLine

Shannara Chronicles, whose first season aired on MTV U.S. from Jan. to March 2016 — will now air on Spike TV (which will be re-branded as Paramount Network in 2018), MTV announced Thursday.

MTV Canada aired season 1, so Bell Media will probably retain the rights. The show probably won't air on Spike/Paramount in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Kevin Costner to Star in Paramount Network Series 'Yellowstone' | Variety
Viacom confirmed in March that “Heathers” and “American Woman,” which had been in development at TV Land, would migrate to Paramount Network as part of shift of resources at Viacom toward a small set of core cable channels. Paramount Network, intended to be a broad, premium-entertainment network, is one of the six channels that Viacom CEO Bob Bakish identified as the company’s future focal points.

·
Super Moderator
16,680 Posts
Paramount Network will officially debut on Thursday, January 18 at 9:00pm ET/PT with a LIVE one-hour episode of "Lip Sync Battle" emanating from the Paramount lot in Hollywood. Details on this star-studded event will be announced in the coming weeks.

Later in January, Paramount Network will premiere the landmark six-part event series, "WACO" based on the controversial and harrowing true story of the 1993 FBI siege.

The new original scripted series coming to Paramount Network in the first part of 2018 include "Yellowstone," "American Woman" and "Heathers."

Spike TV will have a new website, ParamountNetwork.com, launching today, alongside new social accounts: @ParamountNet on Twitter and @ParamountNetwork on Instagram and all other social platforms.
Full Press Release

FAN FAVORITES mentioned on the new website include Ink Master, Lip Sync Battle, Bar Rescue and Bellator MMA.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The website looks nice, I'm surprised that stuff like Bar Rescue and Lip Sync Battle will still be on Paramount - sounds like ABC Family to Freeform, smiilar programming yet ABC Spark won't rebrand

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Doesn't look like it's a wholesale programming change, so they can keep the stuff Spike has that's popular and add to it rather than replace everything. Bellator's got a growing audience and those other shows are reasonably popular, so it makes sense to build on that instead of starting from scratch.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I haven't had cable in 4 years now, but do/will they still show endless reruns of VIP as placeholders for shows for which they don't own the Canadian rights?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts