Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't believe my eyes and ears last night...

Was watching Star Trek Voyager on Spike yesterday, and the episode was playing slightly sped up. (no light speed / sci-fi jokes replies, thanks!)

The picture was running just slightly fast and jerky. The audio was not pitched higher but you could tell that people were speaking unusually fast, kind of like fast forward (but just barely so) on a newer DVD or DVR player.

Has anyone seen/heard of this phenom on broadcast TV before?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't know the term for it but I've heard of networks speeding up the framerate slightly in some scenes in order to squeeze in extra commercials. IIRC, it used to happen with Lost.

It wouldn't surprise me that a channel like Spike was doing that on a regular basis. I all but stopped watching that channel years ago because they were compressing ST to the point that faces would float on the static backgrounds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No question Spike does this. I recorded Star Trek Next Generation (the marginal episodes I was indifferent about) and one day I noticed they were speeding up the frames a bit - often when there was little or no dialogue (sync issue probably). Just a kick here and there, obviously so they could create more inventory for advertisers. Shoddy practice

I've since moved to Space for my Trek - haven't seen any speed up there.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
This has happened for many years on a number of channels and is a common practice. As a matter of fact TBS and others would mention, a number of years ago,that programs were altered to fit the allocated time frame. This was done alongwith the normal "editing" of the movie and/or program. In addition the use of computer programing systems makes it a lot more subtle and not as easily seen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The box that does this is made by Lexicon. It can speed up a program and compensate for the higher pitch in voices It's been around for years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts